What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Grandandelion

• Thread starter Zath
  • Start date

Zath

Enthusiastic Enthusiast
attachment.php

I have no idea what this actually is, but from up on the deck it looks like nothing other than an apple-sized dandelion, lol. Close-up, it looks more like some kind of thistle or milkweed, but I can't recall seeing seed-pod fluffballs so big. It's got two more higher up that will probably open in the next week.

Also, another size comparison:

Grandandelion scaled to paperback by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

Salsify. AKA Tragopogon pratensis

Last edited:
You may be right, but wikipedia lists it's coverage as: "North America from southern Ontario to Massachusetts".

I prefer to think of it as a triffid dandelion that needs to die via weedwacker. :p

(Actually I've grown dandelions in past for salad leaves. Cultivated plants aren't nearly as bitter as wild.) [/random_trivia]

Same thing grows around here. Dandelions and all their relatives fit under "milkweeds," including lettuce, so that name fits, but these are definitely recognizable for the huge puffball heads...

If only they were less successful... then they'd be appreciated as having pretty, yellow flowers, like a daffodil..

If only they were less successful... then they'd be appreciated as having pretty, yellow flowers, like a daffodil..

If you like your flowers sitting atop a stem and leaves that look like medieval-style spiky plate-armor. (For the weed above)

For dandelions, forget the flowers. I'm honestly surprised they're not grown for their leaves more often. They have more iron than spinach, and taste better, to boot. :p

Back