What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who Knew?

SubRosa

BS Bulldozer
I've been dealing with Azolla caroliniana for decades, either growing it or trying not to grow it, but this is a new one on me! I have some in a large outdoor aquarium which is part of my rainwater storage set up that I grow water plants and breed fish in over the summer. I often use the water from the tank to water other plants in my collection, including a few that are kept in a birdbath which acts like a water tray. I just noticed these strange looking clumps growing in my Bog Lily pot, and at first thought they were a Liverwort. Upon closer inspection it turns out to be the Azolla. I never knew it would grow terrestrially, but a bit or research confirmed it.

Attachments

• azc.jpg
    azc.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 59
Ive never seen this species before - have to do some research!

It's basically a fancy version of Duckweed

actually kind of pretty!

Neato! Appearance reminds me of Selaginella.

Yep they do that if keep moist enough. In the Philippines, we have used it as organic fertilizer, ducks feed and weed control in the rice paddies.

Ramon:D

I will try to get some pics of ours in the greenhouse. It definitely grows terrestrially as long as I water it daily. Having a peaty substrate also helps, and we get it occasionally as a groundcover on the Sarrs.

Yep they do that if keep moist enough. In the Philippines, we have used it as organic fertilizer, ducks feed and weed control in the rice paddies.

Ramon:D
I read that during my research on it. It can fix nitrogen because of a symbiotic relationship with a cyanobacteria. The way it spreads when it grows aquatically makes it a very good light blocker. Add to that the nitrogen fixing and you have one very useful plant! Who knew? Besides you of course!

Very odd. I never even suspected it could grow terrestrially. Interesting.

Back