What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Profitable plants?

Over Thanksgiving, I spent time with family in Tallahassee FL (zone 8b). My cousin's husband is leaving her with 2 kids and no job. She is in need of some extra money and asked me what profitable plants she might grow in her yard.

She has a couple acres of yard space to work with, some of it is clear, some of it is in the trees. She has areas that get full sun and some that are shaded. She is experienced with typical vegetable gardens and has some plant knowledge. Whatever she grows, should be able to make her money soon. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
It's pretty hard to make good money quickly by growing anything legal. It might be a wiser strategy for her to use some of the space to offset her food bill by producing as much of the food her family needs as possible. A couple acres of decent land can easily provide most if not all of the support 3 people require. As far as generating quick cash legally by growing plants, I'm as interested in hearing suggestions as you are!

You may be able to try saffron crocus bulbs and harvest the part they use for food spices.

It's pretty hard to make good money quickly by growing anything legal.

I agree. Not much chance of that.

It might be a wiser strategy for her to use some of the space to offset her food bill by producing as much of the food her family needs as possible. A couple acres of decent land can easily provide most if not all of the support 3 people require.

A valid point. And if your sister is into canning or willing to be, she could very well take care of all her family's year-round fruit and veggie needs. While it would not likely be a big $ maker, she might then try to sell any excess (including home canned) at farmers' markets.

As far as plants for the long haul ...
The saffron crocus is an interesting idea, however, I do not know if they require a cold winter dormancy. If they do, then they might not be an option. In the north, some folks will grow hosta for cash. But I do not know how they would fair in Florida.

To make any real money off legal plants, your sis would need to determine not only what would grow relatively easily in her area but also what the market is like in her area. Ideally she would discover an under utilized niche she could exploit.

Having worked in the horticulture industry for many years and owning/managing a nursery, I can guarantee you there is no such thing as an agriculture crop that would "make money soon". Cousin would be better off using the space/time/energy growing some of the family's food than trying to create a quick cash crop, as Paul stated above.
Surely this woman must have some marketable skill(s)? She'd be better off finding a way to engineer a way to sell a skill without leaving home. The Internet is rife with businesses that thrive without requiring the owner leave the house. You have to be creative.
You wouldn't likely be able grow Saffron Crocus in Florida - it requires a cold dormancy - not to mention that investing in the corms would cost a small fortune (It takes 75,000 blossoms to produce a pound of dried saffron that wholesale for $70 per ounce, and you can expect to pay at least $.80 a corm.) and there would be no return on that investment for at least 6 months. (its a FALL blooming Crocus) #clueless

Last edited:
I agree, you're better off offsetting food costs by growing your own food as others have suggested. Horticulture/Agriculture is one of the worst ways to make money unless you are willing to invest a LOT of money in creating a commercial farm that provides for larger mega farms or owning your own nursery (which can be lucrative but can also be a money pit). There is no such thing as a quick buck when growing plants are involved. The closest thing I've experienced is when I propagated a bunch of Passiflora cirrhiflora and sold them on ebay over about a years time. I averaged about $100 per plant and sold about 30 of them but I had a partner so I only wound up with about half that. However, now the market is saturated and that plant only seems to bring around $25-$50 per plant.

There is no one magic bullet plant, unfortunately.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. My cousin was just trying to see if I knew some profitable plants (since I sell aquarium plants). But yeah, I couldn't really think of anything she can grow either. She used to be an artist and her paintings would sell for a great deal, however she just hasn't been able to work on paintings lately with the 2 babies. She can get her parents to watch them, but it's not the same as having help from someone living with her. She is good for the moment, but she is trying to find ways to make extra cash. And yes, all must be legal. lol

Having worked in the horticulture industry for many years and owning/managing a nursery, I can guarantee you there is no such thing as an agriculture crop that would "make money soon". Cousin would be better off using the space/time/energy growing some of the family's food than trying to create a quick cash crop, as Paul stated above.
Surely this woman must have some marketable skill(s)? She'd be better off finding a way to engineer a way to sell a skill without leaving home. The Internet is rife with businesses that thrive without requiring the owner leave the house. You have to be creative.
You wouldn't likely be able grow Saffron Crocus in Florida - it requires a cold dormancy - not to mention that investing in the corms would cost a small fortune (It takes 75,000 blossoms to produce a pound of dried saffron that wholesale for $70 per ounce, and you can expect to pay at least $.80 a corm.) and there would be no return on that investment for at least 6 months. (its a FALL blooming Crocus) #clueless
Sorry, Im just trying to help.

Last edited:
Well, I know some people who would go to plant sales, ie the SF Botanical Garden or UC Berkeley Botanical Garden, and grab the whole table of Passiflora membranacea or Cornus florida sps urbiniana (Magic Dogwood), then resell them on ebay for hundreds of dollars (original prices are $15 and $25) to collectors. It's a very questionable tactic though.

Last edited:
Its really disgusting the way you talk to people sometimes. Did you really have to call someone clueless? I swear, I can't believe noone says anything to you for how you treat other members. You can come off as such a butthole sometimes and I know youre smart enough to know what youre doing too so don't feign ignorance either. Talk to people like you want to be talked to dang.

ya i agree with most people that your friend might as well grow their own food. do we have any farmers here?

Last edited:
Back