What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Candied Violets

SubRosa

BS Bulldozer
Always a favorite of mine, I made my own for the first time today. Simple enough recipe, just violets, egg white, and confectioners sugar. It's actually a means of preserving the flowers, as the egg and sugar act to dessicate the flowers. Simple but tedious! It took almost an hour to pick and process 50 flowers. A night in the fridge and tomorrow we'll see!

Always wanted to try these, and try making them. Can't wait to hear how they turned out and hope you'll post a pic!

Ok, so here's what about an hour's work produced:

Attachments

• 1431453551210-1349417236.jpg
    1431453551210-1349417236.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 63
Nice work. How do they taste?

Sweet, with a hint of violet.

This is dangerous for a guy like me. I work at a nursery, where there are tons of violet flowers, and things like this make me really curious.... :)

This is dangerous for a guy like me. I work at a nursery, where there are tons of violet flowers, and things like this make me really curious.... :)

Try it. It's too tedious to be much danger!

Unless they are especially grown for the food trade far to dangerous to eat could be sprayed with a dangerous chemical, not worth the risk.

Terrascape :wave:

Unless they are especially grown for the food trade far to dangerous to eat could be sprayed with a dangerous chemical, not worth the risk.

Terrascape :wave:

Considering they were collected on my property, the only danger would be to the person who tried to spray them.

And the plants at the nursery are never sprayed, unless absolutely necessary to get rid of bad pest issues. I'm the one who generally takes care of that myself.
That said, still not sure the nursery owners would be happy with me eating the flowers :)

Back