What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Passiflora (Passionflower, Passionfruit) Thread

I think 'Sunburst' will probably bloom the first season if it's growing vigorously. A friend of mine in Maryland tells me that it is the biggest monster of her Passifloras outside in the summer--and she grows a lot of plants. Proably It would behave similarly in your similar climate. I don't think it's nearly as strong of a grower out here, or at least it never has been for me.

I don't know if P. incarnata pollen would stimulate selfing of P. sanguinolenta, but it's certainly worth a try.

Well I wouldn't argue with the monster moniker on the plant, it really is a grower! I'm really looking forward to seeing it bloom.

So you think that money is the root of all evil? Have you ever asked "what is the root of money"?

This has only a little to do with Passifloras, but I thought I'd answer the question. As of today, it's apparently Ebay. From my page on Ebay:

Interestingly the number 666 actually represents man, not evil....so your eBay page is rather accurate depicting realilty.

Well Randy it turns out you were right, the 'Sunburst' is showing teeny tiny flower buds! Can not wait to see these flowers up close! Thanks again!

Great to hear. Make sure to take pictures. The flowers are tiny, but there are usually two buds per node. Mine is actually still not making buds, that I've noticed. I'm hoping it will climb into the sun and start. P. sanguinolenta has done exactly that. So I'm going to have to try the pollen trick on that one.

Well the circle is complete, I just noticed flower buds on the P. foetida. Of course it had a headstart on the others, so I guess it's about time!

Passiflora 'Sunburst':

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 36
John, Do you notice any scent? Apparently some fraction of the population does, which they think is unpleasant. I've never noticed anything.

My 'Sunburst' is not blooming (or in bud that I've noticed), but it's finally starting to branch a lot, so I can at least take new cuttings. P. sanguinolenta is finally blooming, so I tried the P. caerulea "pollination" technique. There are a few which are teasing me with small, so far non viable buds ('Mission Dolores', luzmarina, P. tarminiana Alba) and others which I'm still waiting for a bud of any sort (notably P. membranacea). And P. loefgrenii blooms many dangling flowers every day, which is unusual this time of the year. I think we can thank the unusually cool May weather.

I also have these seedlings of P. antioquiensis. These were from seeds I tried to give away but went unclaimed. I count 7 so far (of about 16 planted 24 days ago):

I already have over 50 seedlings, and a few larger ones from last year, including one in the ground. The ones above I promised to return to TF at least in part, but I haven't decided how. The problem is that this is a fairly good size vine, although it's been known to bloom in a 1 gallon pot and as young as a year old (in a mild region of Orange County). It's also a notorious cool grower, so most people can't grow it outside--unless they live near the CA Coast or the Bay. I looked it up, and the elevation it's from in Columbia would make it an ultrahighlander by the Nepenthes classification. It really likes temps between about 33 and 80, dying at about 27 and after too many nights above 65 or days above 85.

I've posted a picture from a friend's plant elsewhere (the source of the seeds). This is a favorite of mine from someone else, actually the guy who is the ultimate source of seeds, several generations ago. Blooming in San Francisco and well worth a click:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/137454/

Hawken, are your P. antioquiensis seedling(s) doing OK?

Well Randy, I first noticed the open flowers when I got home from a day from hell at work. I didn't even think to smell it. I'll check in the morning. Also it looks like the foetida will be in bloom in the next couple days.

Well I took a good whiff and there's definitely a mild fragrance. I wouldn't categorize it as pleasant, but it isn't foul either. It makes me think of plastic. I'll check again after the sun has been up and see if it changes or gets stronger.

Well the Passiflora foetida is in bloom, but for some reason I can't upload a pic. I'll try again tonight.

John, any picture of the P. foetida? I have not seen that variety bloom. I gave a friend a seedling last year and all I saw was a faded bloom...

I don't know if this is OK on this forum, but I'll do it anyway, and delete it if it's not allowed (and please let me know). Grassy Knoll Exotics is moving to a different location in Oregon, and having a 40% off sale of many (but not all) of her plants. This is a stellar nursery, and the best all-around source of Passifloras (as well as other plants) in the country. They also have the biggest selection in this country.

http://gkplants.com/collections/moving-sale

Unfortunately I cannot grow the fruiting varieties here. I did have a "cold hardy" passionflower growing outside a few years ago, but don't know what variety it was. It accidentally got sprayed with herbicide and perished :-( I loved that plant and planning on getting another when I can clear another space for one.

19260888259_750a59313e_c.jpg
[/url]Passion flower bees by Djoni C, on Flickr[/IMG]

P. foetida:

Attachments

• IMG_20150710_071238.jpg
    IMG_20150710_071238.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 46
Djoni, I should find out from Elizabeth Peters (who owns Grasssy Knoll Exotics) if there is anything that will fruit in your area (besides P. incarnata, I guess). She's in Oregon City and moving to Ranier. I'm thinking P. elegans and P. tucumanensis, maybe? Not P. edulis, of course.

John, it's a "blue" one. Cool. Not truly blue, but closer than many things that get called blue. Did it make fruit? Maybe mine will bloom this year.

I recently got a Passiflora from a friend. I don't think she knows the origins, but it's a P. sublanceolata hybrid. Flowers are bigger than most P. foetidas, but it's in the same subgroup, or "section", Dysosmia. So it also has the sticky bracts around buds, flowers and fruits (visible in the photos below). Actually, to a minor extent they are on the rest of the plant. These sticky bracts can apparently trap insects, leading some people to argue the plants could be carnivorous. I understand this is not generally believed, as there is no good evidence the plants digest and derive nutrients from trapped insects. Regardless, these are very cool structures.

I believe this plant is self-fertile. I'm trying to find out whether the fruit is tasty. These are my friend's photos. She says the flower is about 4 inches before it reflexes, so it's larger than P. foetida. And of a shocking pink color.

Last edited:
No fruit yet Randy, and I did try hitting a few of the blooms with pollen from the sanguinolenta. There are still plenty of big fat buds, so hopefully I'll get some fruit by the end of the season. That sublanceolata hybrid really is something!

Agree with John. That hybrid is quite lovely. The sticky bracts are always such an ornate and interesting feature to have.

As far as hardy Passifloras go, P. caerulea might also work for your climate, Djoni. It'll take down to 5F (possibly more--we haven't gotten colder since I've had mine).

Last edited:
John, I think Passifloras of subgenus Decaloba (includes P. sanguinolenta) have a different number of chromosomes from subgenus Passiflora (includes P. foetida). So no hybrids have been observed. But of course it could always in theory stimulate selfing. By the way, I tried that with P. saguinolenta + P. caerulea pollen, 1 flower, nothing. I also just tried it on two flowers with P. loefgrenii pollen (which has a reputation as having extremely "potent" pollen). I should know in a couple days. I'm about to try again on a couple with P. caeurulea.

I have started 5 or 6 cuttings of the P. sublanceolata hybrid, so hopefully I should have some rooted soon. It's supposed to be ridiculously easy to root.

I just heard from my friend that this hybrid has not produced fruit for her, so she doesn't know how it tastes. She says she expects it tastes like pure P. sublanceolata, which is good, with fruit larger than P. foetida (which is small), but not a lot bigger. Presumably it needs cross-pollination, and P. foetida would be an obvious one to try.

Back