What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hitchhiker ID's ?

I've got a couple of persistent hitchhikers in some of my Nepenthes pots. Anyone have any idea what these may be ?

I assume this one is a Peperomia of some sort.

No idea what this one is, never saw anything like it.

1st is a Pilea (Urticaceae), looks like microphylla. Something of a weed though some people cultivate it intentionally as it makes an easy and attractive groundcover in a terrarium. Not sure on the other, looks familiar but not ringing any bells at the moment. Something in Asteraceae, maybe?

Last edited:
Think you're dead on with Pilea microphylla.

The second one reminds me of Protasparagus densiflorus. Be curious to hear from Kevin (plantman).

I actually don't have much to add; just +1 on P. microphylla and would also place the second in Asparagaceae, pending flowers. Asparagus densiflorus would be my guess, A. aethiopicus is also possible. The houseplant Asparagus species are pretty invasive and bird-dispersed; I wouldn't be surprised if one came in on your Sphagnum, especially if it's from NZ.

Last edited:
I actually don't have much to add; just +1 on P. microphylla and would also place the second in Asparagaceae, pending flowers. Asparagus densiflorus would be my guess, A. aethiopicus is also possible. The houseplant Asparagus species are pretty invasive and bird-dispersed; I wouldn't be surprised if one came in on your Sphagnum, especially if it's from NZ.

Kevin, happen to know which is currently the accepted genus name for that one? (Protoasparagas or Asparagas?)

That first one, artillery fern, get rid of it, unless you want it everywhere. It is one of two terrible weeds where I am.

Back