What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amorphophallus

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
Hello! I was traded this tuber over the winter and was told it was likely either konjac or bulbifer... Anyway, it doesn't seem to have grown much this summer so I'm wondering if this amount of growth is normal? Also, does it look good? It kinda looks yellowish to me. Just trying to make sure it has a good summer growth before winter comes around so I have a good chance of getting to grow it for more years.
Thanks for the help!
Andrew

20150828_160801.jpg

Wow, I think maybe it's just getting blasted by more sun than it needs and that made it short & stout. Mine used to grow real long and get all twisted cos they will bend and twist to follow the sun across the sky during the day.

Do you ever fertilize it? Might just need a good feeding.

It is definitely in strong sun, gets all day except for the latest of afternoon/evening. I have not fertilized it, any fertilizer in specific?
Thanks!

I only use Grow More (on my Neps, utrics, orchids, houseplants, etc.) but anything that would be gentle should be OK.

This is the one I use: http://www.amazon.com/Grow-More-527...UTF8&qid=1440808787&sr=8-2&keywords=grow+more

I use 1/2 teaspoon per gallon

If you get Grow More try and find a silica packet to toss in the jar to keep it from turning into a blue brick. Without a packet it goes hard in a year or so, with a packet it never seems to turn into a clump. had my current jar with a silica packet for about 3+ years and it's still loose.

Great, thanks for the info. Do you use it for every watering? I assume yes, since you talk about the mixture but not frequency. Also thanks for the silica trick!
Thanks again,
Andrew

I try to remember to do it every two weeks, so that would be like every 4th watering since I seem to water about twice a week.

Ok cool. Thanks for the help. Would you suggest I move it closer to the house or next to a bush to get a shorter day or something? I gave a quick search for posts with photos of yours and couldn't find any... I'd love to see some if you have photos sitting around. =)

Anyone know how quickly their larger cousins grow?

It's getting too much hot, direct sun, Andy. Give that poor thing some dappled shade from noon to five!

Looks like an Amorpho ... and if it came from me it is definitely an Amorpho.

Assuming I'm correct on its general ID:
  • Intense light will result in stockier growth. Those I have seen grown in heavy shade get a lot taller, but the stems were flimsy.
  • Yellowing could be due to sun intensity or due to dormancy on set. How long ago did it "wake up"?
  • Being that you are in AZ, it could use quite a bit of water all summer long. Also, considering the intensity of your summer sun coupled with your arid climate, I would suggesting giving it shade during the hottest part of the day. Morning and evening sun should not be a prob.
  • As long as the bulb has been in leaf for two or three months, it should have had ample opportunity to make and store sufficient food reserves for its winter dormancy.

Guess I didn't subscribe to my topic.. sorry I didn't see the reply DradonsEye! No it didn't come from you, I traded it for some Prickly pear pads :)

As far as how long it had leaves, not very... it broke soil ground kinda late... This is what it looked like on 8/12/15

20150812_071115.jpg

That said, I have a new problem. I moved it to the front yard where it could get afternoon shade, and woke up this morning to it having been eaten by Javelina :cry: Going by the prior post that they should have 2-3 months of leaves for a proper dormancy, is it probably done for? (they also ate my strawberry plants seen here)

20150918_062840.jpg

That said, I have a new problem. I moved it to the front yard where it could get afternoon shade, and woke up this morning to it having been eaten by Javelina :cry:

Looks like it is time to add "desert pig" to your dinner menu.

Going by the prior post that they should have 2-3 months of leaves for a proper dormancy, is it probably done for?

I have never had an issue with something destroying the leaf completely as has happened with yours, but I do not believe a new leaf will be produced to replace it. Whether it survives will depend upon just how much energy it was able to gather during its time leafed out and what energy reserves remained from the old corm. If enough stored energy is present, then it may still from a new, albeit much smaller, corm to sprout next growth cycle. It may have even formed several tiny corms during its brief growth period. After the stem completely dies down, you can carefully dig the corm up and see what, if anything, remains.

Ok thanks. So should I stop watering it now? Maybe even move it where it's cooler (in a greenhouse)?

Thanks DragonsEye for the PMs... Here is what I dug up today. The top one feels good, the bottom one is definitely softer, but not mushy. I was careful not to break as many roots as I could in case I need to get it back into the ground or something.
Thanks again for the help!
Andrew

The bottom corm should shrivel up as the new corm absorbs the nutrients and moisture contained in the old one.

Back