What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ant Plants

SubRosa

BS Bulldozer
These were gifts from DaveS at last year's NECPS show. First is Hydnophytum formicarium, second is Myrmecodia tuberosa:

Attachments

• 1444597766111219934323.jpg
    1444597766111219934323.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 88
  • 1444597883660406890043.jpg
    1444597883660406890043.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 85
Those are looking great! Did you have them outside during the summer? Mine did much better outside this past summer than in my terrariums.
Have you used fertilizer on them?

Yes, they summer outside under a south facing overhang which let's them catch full sun until around midday with bright shade the rest of the day. My fertilization was spotty, but when I did it it was full strength, 1 tsp per gal.

Bonjour

for mine always in terra .

I use NPK :25-5-5 diluted, to compensate the nitrogenous substance provided by ants.

watering all the 15 days with alternating rain water and rain water + fertilizer

SUBROSA ; do you know the myrmecodia tracability ? because in tuberosa you have a lot of species ,subservient, often to a particular area.

jeff

SUBROSA ; do you know the myrmecodia tracability ? because in tuberosa you have a lot of species ,subservient, often to a particular area.jeff

Thanks for your cultivation notes; compensating for the missing N makes sense. The parent plant was likely from seed collected in Malaysia in 1985. The original plant was grown at the Atlanta Botanical Garden, then by the University of CT, then to me from the Director of Botany there, who is a member of the NECPS.

I believe this is Myrmecodia tuberosa 'armata' Jack Here is the link: Myrmecodia tuberosa 'armata' {Rubiaceae}

Bonjour

thank for the answer

collected in malaysia but know you if it is on the continent or in the sarawak -sabah ?

jeff

but know you if it is on the continent or in the sarawak -sabah ?jeff

I will ask my friend the next time I see him, but the answer is likely to be unknown.

Bonjour

I looking for, some grower to swap these rubiaceae genus ( myrmecodia-hydnophytum-squamellaria-myrmephytum- anthorrhiza )

jeff

Bonjour

yes, but also others , like Andreas :banana2:

jeff

Last edited:
Derrick is a deal breaker.........

A current pic of my Hydnophytum formicarium. Although I once had a Myrmecodia tuberosa several times larger than this plant, this will be my first time blooming an ant plant:

Attachments

• IMG_20160216_073438.jpg
    IMG_20160216_073438.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 80
Bonjour

deal breaker ?

on your pic I see a myrmecodia not a hydnophytum :scratch:

jeff

Deal breaker = sufficient reason not to go back. As far as the id on the plant, I'm going by what the person who gave it to me told me it was. What would your id be?

may be an other picture but not on this corner , I do no see the stem ?

may be a myrmecodia

jeff

Back