What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Early Christmas Present :-)

I've been growing wasabi here in Oregon for about two years now. It does well in this climate and has flowered every spring. This here is my mother plant but I also have about 10 sad looking gallon pots that I divided up a week ago. Luckily they are already sending out new leaves. :)

geeze, that is nice.... couldn't do that here, my temps go from -20f to 100f in the course of a year.
Does it seed for you?

very nice KN, do you grow for the fun of it or do you enjoy eating wasabi?

It has never set seed for me. I think need to get another clone for successful pollination. All of my plants came from two 'Daruma' starts a few years ago. And, currently I have never even tried my wasabi. I love the fake stuff so I am very excited to try it but I would like to get a good amount of them growing before I do that. Every new start is precious to me because they take so darn long to grow and are so hard to find locally. Having my own farm is a dream that I am hoping to see happen within the next 5 years. Finances are the only thing holding me back from buying land and local farming sure doesn't make you a millionaire. So if I could already have a semi decent amount of wasabi to grow, and the experience to do so, it would be a great cash crop to start with here.

Japanese (in English) show on wasabi. About 9:30 it covers the ecology and cultivation of wasabi - pure water essential.

very nice vid warren,
most enjoyable old friend :)

pics taken 4/10/16

wasabi1.JPG

wasabi2.JPG

Av

maybe a Christmas harvest?
Largest rhizome approaching one inch diameter

:)

rhizome

(image taken today)

update: