What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Early Christmas Present :-)

Wasabi cultivation

Thanks Andrew,

I think the inconsistency of the output is an advantage. The water is fed to the drip ring via a bubble tube so the water should have a high Oxygen content.
Not much online about the use of Hydroponics with Wasabi, but I did find this info from Canna: Wasabi | CANNA Chile

Initially I'm going to leave two in potting soil until I see if the system (and Canna's products) work as hoped.

Last edited:
2.1.16 Update

1/25/16 Moved middle sized specimen into the new hydro setup

wasabi5

wasabi6

1/31/16 obvious growth
wasabi7

:woot:

Last edited:
2516.jpg

Growth rate is impressive, setup is worthy of further investment.
Ordered a decent electronic pH meter yesterday.

Hydro chems too expensive to just blindly dump periodically. I want to use pH and conductivity to monitor solution quality.
I already have a suitable conductivity meter.

My targets are a pH of 5.8 - 6.0 and an EC of 600-800 uS/cm

I was giving a bit of thought to a setup for growing Meconopsis here where summers are too hot for them, and realized that considerable added cooling could be had by supplying the air used for evaporative cooling from a compressor as opposed to an air pump.

I would assume cooling capacity would be related to volume of air, temp, RH, surface area and to some degree velocity..:

Took my first official measurements, still on the first batch of solution. I mixed it up without the benefit of measuring the pH and EC

2-9-16
Test unit 1 solution

pH 6.9
EC 460 uS/cm
Temp 62.5f

Very pleased with growth so I think I will lower my target levels to 400-600 uS/cm

😊

Last edited:
Think I need to reduce my target pH as well,

New target 5.2 - 6.0

Made fresh solution

Baseline
pH 4.8 (no additional buffering used)
EC 550 uS/cm
Temp 57.5f
(started with RO water @ 22uS/cm)

Expect pH to rise and EC to drop as nutrients are used up.

Last edited:
I would assume cooling capacity would be related to volume of air, temp, RH, surface area and to some degree velocity..:

Took my first official measurements, still on the first batch of solution. I mixed it up without the benefit of measuring the pH and EC

2-9-16
Test unit 1 solution

pH 6.9
EC 460 uS/cm
Temp 62.5f

Very pleased with growth so I think I will lower my target levels to 400-600 uS/cm

��

Definitely, but starting out with air which you compressed, generating heat which dissipated away and the re-expanding that air is a win/win thermodynamically speaking, particularly if you allow the heat generated by compressing the air to dissipate someplace you actually want heat.

yep yep, adiabatic and isothermal.... :)

David!!! 😝

But what about the painful discharge???
😱

David!!! ��

But what about the painful discharge???
��

Document it and send it to the The Daily Mail, so it can be enjoyed with footage of explosive boil-lancing. What are you thinking?

that will teach me to raise bot flies for my helis inside the house, ugh....

I totally want to get one of those. just to say i know what it feels like and I raised it and it is mine :p

that will teach me to raise bot flies for my helis inside the house, ugh....

Day 2

Parameters changed significantly but still within documented recommendations

pH 5.6
EC 1010uS/cm

Not really sure why the big change, maybe it takes a while to stabilize, maybe it's a result of the aeration, dunno

I like the 5.6 pH, Would prefer EC of 900 or less. I'll keep monitoring and see when things stabilize and at what level.

mach :slap:
u silly thang

edit:
rechecked

pH 5.6
EC 530uS/cm

think I was having cross contamination earlier, these readings make more sense and are spot on.

Last edited:
Plant size now exceeds the largest specimen that was left in soil as a control.

middle sized specimen, one month ago:

wasabi3

Two weeks ago:

wasabi5

yesterday:

wasabi3f

:grin:

Last edited:
Moved the runt today..
Used same solution recipe

wasabi4f

wasabi5f

Av

Day 6
pH = 6.7
EC = 550 uS/cm

Washington state university recommends a pH of 6-7, so going to see if I can get 14 days from the solution
I suspect the increase in values are in part due to evaporation.
Going to top off with RO and retest tomorrow.

final plant moved, all three are each in their own hydro units now.

wasabi9

Chems (plus trichoderma)

wasabi8

av

Last edited:
Wasabi farm in Oregon

that's some great growth so far! I didn't realize the value of wasabi, until I searched online for the cost of a few rhizomes lol. I also didn't know most wasabi preparations sold in stores and in jars are mostly horseradish. but then again, I don't eat sushi too often...

Back