What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amorphophallus konjac skipping dormancy?

I have an Amorphophallus konjac that's been growing indoors. It has lasted in leaf stage through out the growing season and well into winter.
Since winter is almost over, I was wondering, can it keep growing through another spring and summer? Or should I force it into dormancy somehow?
I am in Georgia, so we are still getting a few cooler days, but warm weather is starting to flirt it's way in. Maybe if I place the plant outside now it will think the cool weather is coming, instead of the heat?

Please let me know your thoughts!

Bonjour

I am in FRANCE- EUROPE

actually my konjac is still into dormancy , tuber out of the substrate .

when it manifests itself in a recovery of vegetation I defer in the substrate.

jeff

Interesting dilemma. Have never kept mine indoors during its active stage as I don't have room.

If you were able to keep it going through this spring and summer, the tuber come fall should be vastly increased in size. However, if it should go dormant too close to summer, you may have issues with a mixed up growth cycle. If dormancy could be started now, you could still give it a 3month dry period before summer hits. If the leaf has yet to show any sign on decline, it would take a hard frost or two to trigger dormancy, I expect. If the leaf is in great shape, you may be best off just working to skip this cycle's dormancy.

Hello. From my experience amorphophallus will go dormant and wake up when they want to. I have about ten varieties and the one constant between them is they tend to go dormant when they need to. My boss at the botanical garden is in love with amorphophallus so I hear all about them at work. Some species will skip dormancy completely. I've had a a.bulbofier and a a.titanum that haven't gone dormant for three years and are super happy. Hope this helps some. Let me know if I didn't explain that clearly. Thanks

Thanks for the replies!

There are actually 3 in total, in 1 big pot. There is 1 big one and 2 small ones that popped up (all from the tuber you sent DragonsEye). The big one's leaf is about 27" tall, then the two smaller are about 12" and then 8". All have green healthy looking leaves. I don't think there will be any hard frosts coming to town, so I'll go with letting them grow and skip dormancy, or just let them go dormant when they please. That's amazing that a.bulbofier and a a.titanum have been going for three years! I imagine that would increase tuber growth, but there would be no fun flowers. lol

I'll update, even if it's next winter. Thanks again!

Last edited:
It seems she has finally decided to sleep. The two little ones are still awake however. (Sorry about the clutter, I was rearranging some stuff.)
full

So now I just keep her dry and dark right? I wonder when the smaller plants will rest . . .

Last edited:
Thats all I do ...but my conditions are vastly different from yours.

In your far milder climate, you might be able to just leave it potted/in ground. I don't know rotting is a danger if there is plenty of moisture present during dormancy.

Good to hear that it's doing well for ya. :)

Last edited:
Back