What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amorphophallus is this normal?

Hi I opened the door to the greenhouse this morning and first thing I noticed was a horrible smell I was looking around for a dead rat or something and then I noticed this
Is this how this flower starts out or was this alittle premature? It seems really small and has already opened up.Iam shocked how bad it smells,I couldn't imagine a full size flower in bloom.
a>

- - - Updated - - -

Here another pic of another pot of them to get a good idea of the size.
a>

Do you know which species you have? Could be a perfectly normal flower.

As far as it's fragrance goes ....they're not called "corpse flowers" for nothing! :lol:

No Iam not sure.I know it is one of the more common types though,maybe konjac.I thought the stem and flower would be much bigger/taller.I have a few more double the size and no flower.

Last edited:
Looks like bulbifer.

Thanks DonH,After a little research of bulbifer.It must be.Thanks for your help.

Yep, fully mature flower, but definitely not konjac :)
There are several species out in circulation with flowers that are somewhat similar in appearance, but slight variations set them all apart. I have a couple, and one of them is supposed to smell like carrots rather than corpse.

Bonjour

a beautiful bulbifer , (it seem to me when I see the leaf , the stem and the inflorescence ) see here the specie Amorphophallus bulbifer

have you on the other some bulbill on the leaf ?

on these plants, the female flowers(which are on the spadix bottom) smell to attract insects that can the fecond .

jeff

Last edited:
I have a couple, and one of them is supposed to smell like carrots rather than corpse.

Now that would be interesting! Which one?

A. dunnii does, or so I'm told. This will only be its second year growing for me and it didn't gain much size so I don't expect flowers for a while.

Back