What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

White stuff on banana tree

• Thread starter momo329
  • Start date
Hi everyone,

I have a banana tree - I mean I think I do, it looks like one but there was no label on it. I lately noticed some fluffy cotonous white things appeared on it. The tree grows fine so far, but as more and more white stuff appears on it I am a bit worried. Would you please help me identify what the stuff actually is so I know how to care for my tree ?

Here are some pics :

16880610.jpg

16880611.jpg

16776010.jpg

16810010.jpg

16833010.jpg

16880510.jpg

Thanks a lot,

Morgane

You have the beginnings of a mealy bug infestation. If not addressed soon, you will have a major problem on your hands. The large white fluffy patches are the adults which are fairly sedentary. The nymphs, however, are mobile crawlers which can and will spread to other plants. Some types of mealies can even get down into the root system. Throughly spraying the plant with rubbing alcohol will kill them off, though the process may need repeated. To avoid saturating the soil, you can either lay the plant on its side or cover the soil and the base of the trunk with a towel.

Thanks a lot for your answer ! I have pure ethanol, would that work as well ?

If you provide a picture of the whole plant we can ID too.

Thanks a lot for your answer ! I have pure ethanol, would that work as well ?

Yes. Just fill up a spray bottle and mist the plant thoroughly wetting all leaf and stem surfaces (top and underside). Make sure to to get into the crevices of the leaf axils.

Alright I washed all the leaves and stems with soapy water, and sprayed with ethanol. I'll keep spraying for a while until it gets them all. How long and how often do you think I can/should do that ?

Here's the full plant (thanks for offering ID : ) )

16880511.jpg

Strelitzia nicolai, white bird of paradise. Likes water, but likes dry roots too.Don't overwater or it will rot

Alright I washed all the leaves and stems with soapy water, and sprayed with ethanol. I'll keep spraying for a while until it gets them all. How long and how often do you think I can/should do that ?

Wait a week or two before treating again.

Ok : ) Thanks a lot for your answers guys !

Also, that plant is pretty dark green. It probably could use more light, if possible. They tolerate shade but in nature grow in full tropical sun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back