What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need moss suggestions

• Thread starter chibae
  • Start date

chibae

An orchid fancier with a CP problem
I am looking to do a project with using moss as a very low landscape plant. I'm looking to do a combination of 2 to 4 varieties in an area about 9" x 12". Any suggestions other than heading out into my yard, mid-Atlantic USA area, to dig?

Out of curiosity ... is this going to be an indoor terrarium type thing, outdoor "fairy garden", ....?

mostly outside

Out of curiosity ... is this going to be an indoor terrarium type thing, outdoor "fairy garden", ....?

It will be spending most of the time outdoors but a few times a year will be worked into a model railroad display indoors.

Hmm, then you might be best off with wild temperate mosses -- particularly ones collected from exposed rocks as those would be most likely, I would think, to survive conditions involving big temperature swings and drying out.

I know you said mosses, but just in case you're tempted, don't use lichens. They are known for being fussy, particularly if removed from their substrates.

Don't use the live moss indoors Chib, too messy. Static grass is easy to apply to the model railway display, and it doesn't break the bank. ( It's also fun. it can be a little electrifying:eek: if you forget to discharge the applicator, not to mention the head sized dimples in the ceiling) :cool:

Back