What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hydnophytum sp. Malaybalay

• Thread starter schmiggle
  • Start date
Does anybody grow this plant? It's an antplant from Wistuba. I've had mine for maybe a year and a half, and it's grown lots of roots and expanded the caudex a bit but doesn't seem to like to keep more than two leaves at a time for me. I had to leave for a week, and I left it in probably near constant conditions in a bag with no light around 70 degrees F (in my basement) and the growing point blackened. Does it like highland, lowland, or intermediate conditions? Is it likely to sprout a basal plant or a new leaf set (I assume it's not completely done for, but maybe I'm too optimistic)? How wet should it be kept? I had it sitting in a small layer of water, which I assume was not good, but it did grow lots of roots like that. I've been assuming it likes high humidity--is that true? It doesn't have to stay in the terrarium if it won't like it.

Ideally you want lowland to ultra lowland conditions --hot and humid. Temps in the 60s and you're flirting with disaster. Temps in the 50s and you can usually count on having a dead plant.

Ideally you want lowland to ultra lowland conditions --hot and humid. Temps in the 60s and you're flirting with disaster. Temps in the 50s and you can usually count on having a dead plant.
Wow, ok. I had assumed highland from the description on the myrmecophyte forum where there's the picture of a wild specimen and a description of it being from "the mountains around Malaybalay." But that does explain why it's been doing poorly. Thanks a bunch for the info.

Last edited:
Back