What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chnaging leaf shape on aristolochia littoralis

I have a trellis with a medium sized Aristolochia littoralis (pipevine) that has recently changed from papery thin, light green heart shaped leaves, to thick, triangular, dark green leaves with ruffled edges. Any idea what would cause this? The other Aristolochias have so far not done this. and continue to make their normal leaf shapes.

Thanks for any thoughts!

My Aristolochia has done this after letting it go dry.

Ah! I do let the Aristolochias go drier in comparison to my caladiums, Sarracenias and Aroids, I guess I will water them just as often now!
Thanks!
smile.gif

i have an aristolochia elegans and it does the same thing when you put it in dry conditions .

Yup, more water helped it out, the new leaves are normal. It's even growing faster now with more water, and I thought it grew fast before!

Hey, BTW Goldtrap, the synonym of A. littoralis is A. elegans so we got the same one in this particular plant!
Has yours flowered yet this year? Mine is about 3 ft x 5 ft climbing on a trellis with all new growth but no flowers... It had them in March at the GH where I bought it.
How much do you fertilize yours? I simply threw a handful of "bulb food" (the most balanced 9-6-9 low content granular fertilizer I could find) on top of the pot so it gets "percolated" through from the top everytime I water or it rains. Perhaps they like heavier fertilizing?

Hey, I'm growing A. elegans also. It grows fast, but not as fast as A. gigantea. For fertilizer, I use the 9 month slow release pellets. No flowers yet, but I fully expect to see some in a month or two
smile.gif

cool , i did'nt know , i brought my plant at cooks , it came in a 3 inch pot , i just repotted it today , it does grow fast, my plant is 20 inches tall but i have yuet to see any flowers , i hear the flowers are stinky so if my sauromatum and my aristolichis bloom at the same time then i'm gonn pass out , lol , j/k. mines is making alot of new grpwth and i keep it outdoors .i grow mines like a aroid except i keep it much wetter . i give mines superthrive with orchid fertilizer , seems to speed things up with no harm .

Back