What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shameful promotion of passiflora

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
Hi all

I just wanted to share the beauty of passiflora! (Maybe start a new addiction!) They are wonderful vining plants that have incredible flowers AND the bonus of edible fruit in many varieties (passionfruit...found in many fruit drinks). There is a wide variety of species and hybrids...most are tropical. The only species native to the U.S. is the p. incarnata (which does have good fruit) which can survive cold temps. The vines are attractive and make beautiful arbors and trellises or fence covering.

This is the hybrid p. 'Elizabeth'...with a friend.
smile.gif
Large flowers, nice fragrance, frilly filaments.

pelizbee.jpg

And passiflora 'Blue Bouquet'...a beautiful deep blue.

bluebou4RS.jpg

Hope maybe some of you will be inspired to give them a try.
smile.gif

Suzanne

WOW! BLUE! I had no idea that there were flower shapes and colors other than the purple/violet ones.

Thanks for sharing!

Make sure you give them plenty of room and don't plant them near anything you don't want covered up. They are pretty but hard to control once established.

Passion_flower2_web.jpg

Statik...there are many colors of passiflora...including pinks, reds and white. If you want to check out some other varieties of passionflowers, look at Misty's web site. There are lots of pics and little bit of info on each plant. The page takes a minute or so to download.

http://www.ccnnwebdesign.com/garden/

Dyflam...nice pic! Is that an incarnata? I don't have to worry about most of my passionflowers taking over as I have to grow them in pots (can't take the cold temps here). I don't have my incarnata in the ground yet but I do want it to cover a fence. That is the only one that would spread. I also may try a p. caerulea in the ground as it stayed out all winter and lived! I was surprised as we had some very cold temps over the winter.

I love passionflowers and would love have more but I'm limited having to use pots.

I am ecstatic because I just discovered flower buds on my p. edulis! Its one of my "babies"...grown from seed. It never bloomed last year so this is quite an event. And its also supposed to have some of the best fruit. :biggrin:

Suzanne

Not sure what variety mine is (actually my neighbors). They are one of the coolest flowers though.

While I was at long wood I saw one that had crimson red flowers. The plant itself was on a 30 foot archway.

mmm...passiflora and carnations are my favorite non-cp flowers. There was a large vine growing on a fence in Arcata (northern california) on my way to school and I'd make a point of sniffing the flowers whenever I got the chance.

Anyone have any seeds that will grow in zone 9/10? I've got a fence that the star jasmine hasn't reached, in the very least I'd love a pot of them in my room. Pop me an e-mail at wickedthistle@hotmail.com

My Nana has one, not sure the colour tho.

There was one at a nursery VERY near by (not the one IIIIIIII work at!), and it was called "Blue Crown" Not too cheap tho, twenty bucks, well established though.

Can you get me a cutting and give it to me and pay for shipping... please, please, please... lol J/K

Hi,

I have a Passiflora incarnata that I winter over outdoors each winter. It always looks very nice when it returns from the roots in the spring and flowers very heavily in the summer. It's not back yet this year though...too cold of a spring thus far.
Bye for now.

P.S. I tried using HTML earlier to post a pic and it wasn't accepted. Did I mis doing something? Thanks.
Bye for now.

Hi Indy

Does your incarnata bear fruit? I got two tiny fruit off of two small vines (grown from seed). They were quite tasty. But so far this year the vine is still very small (cool weather here as well). Luckily my p. edulis is loaded with flower buds (for the first time) so I'm hoping to get lots of flowers and good fruit.

As for the pic, you have to use a certain structure to post a pic:

{img}your server address/filename.jpg{/img}

only replace the face brackets with square brackets ... [ ]

Someone else might be able to explain it better.

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne,

Yeah, it bears a ton of fruit. Each flower turns into a little green ball about 1" in diameter, but I've cut them open before and after our last frost and guess what...they are completely empty! That's right all they contain is air. No pulp, no meaty fruit, not a drop of juice, only air! I can't figure it out. So, I guess I just have to be happy with the flowers. Which are breath-taking all on their own.
  The code I'm used to using is {img src="your server address/filename.jpg"}. Only replace { with <. I'll do some experimenting and preview a post before posting it to be sure it shows up.
Thanks.
Bye for now.

<span style='font-family:comic sans ms'>I G, use the format Suzanne described above. That's what works in this forum.</span>

I was surprised to see this topic because I, too, got a Passiflora a few days ago and I love it! It's 6 feet from top to bottom! And awesome blue blooms.

Chris

Hi Chris

Congrats on the new passionflower.
smile.gif
Do you know what variety it is? P. caerulea seems to be one of the most popular being sold in nurseries...I think because they are more winterhardy than most passiflora. And it does have a blue flower. There are LOTS of different kinds though. Some vines grow up to 60 feet.

If you are "collector" oriented, you may find yourself wanting more...just like with CPs. :) There are so many I want.

Here is p. caerulea...

cerulea2RS.jpg

And the beautiful p. 'Star of Clevedon' with its backswept petals...

clevedon3.jpg

I just love 'em!

Suzanne

I think mine is P. caerulea--it matches the picture you provided (thanks!), except the petals alternate from pale blue to the usual off-white.

Yeah, I'm definitely collecting these now!
smile.gif

IndianaGardener, you mentioned that your Passiflora doesn't bear fruit. Did you say it was P. incarnata? I don't think P. incarnata bears much fruit, at least not in cultivation. Try P. edulis, which is supposed to be the one that bears the fruit found in stores. It's next on my list to buy!

Chris

Chris..the incarnata does bear fruit. It is one of the better fruits actually. Last year my incarnatas were small but I got two small fruits and they were good. Made me want more! This year my edulis (grown from seed last year) has flowers so I'm hoping for good fruit. Unfortunately I have not been able to get successful cutting from it. I am trying again. If I do, I can send you one if you don't get one before then. Also IF if get fruit, I will have seed to share although its hard to germinate. But FRESH seed germinates best.

The caerulea is a good bloomer...mine has had 4 flowers already. The reason for the alternating color is some are petals and some are the sepals. But they tend to all look like flower petals.

Suzanne

Hmm...so incarnata doea bear fruit. Cool, but why wouldn't IG's bear fruit? I know that most plants (though Passiflora I don't know) don't bear fruit if light is insufficient. Possible? Or maybe humidity?

And the edulis cuttings--that is really nice of you, but if you do manage to root any cuttings, you'll want to give to them to growers not fortunate enough to have any Passiflora at all! Thanks, though.

Ah, sepals...I had a senior moment there. :)

Back