What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for sensitive plant!

• Thread starter SunPitcher
  • Start date
I have been looking for any kind of sensitive plant. Can anyone here please help me out?

Thanks!
biggrin.gif

They grow all over around here!
biggrin.gif
They are in the mimosa family, but they are not Mimosa pudica. I don't think I would collect one to ship, but I'm in N. Texas

wow.gif
Wow! We Are not so far from each other Lithopsman! I live in Las Vegas, Nevada!

If you go to a Bachmanns or Franks Nursery & Crafts or just about anywhere that sells seeds just look for the white packets with pictures of cartoony smiling plants on the front  "SEEDS FOR KIDS" by NK (or Northrup King the red/green logo brand) they sell "Ticklish Tims" which are Mimosa pudica sensitive plants. A pack of 50 or so seeds is only $0.99. If you let em grow big and they can get spiny like rose thorns and weird puffball flowers but don't chew the roots or you might take a "spiritual voyage"...
alien.gif

Actually I don't know if pudica is a psychoactive species of Mimosa or not, haven't tried it myself. I only remember reading some Ethnobotany papers which mentioned "Mimosa sp."

Now that it's spring you might actually find a plant called Biophytum for sale where they sell water garden plants. This is a species of sensitive plant that floats on the water but it can be grown either on waterlogged soil (as for utrics) or floating free in water. On land it has a stem like stolon from which sensitive plant fronds emerge like small fern  fronds. When it creeps out across water the stolon turns into what looks kind of like a fat white watterlogged ciggarette with the fronds coming up in the same fashion as on land. Biophytum is both touch and light sensitive and folds up when the terrarium lights go off (or the sun sets -if growing outside during summer).

Back