What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bamboo

I had three pieces of Bamboo at my dads house.
Every Wednesday when i went over there i filled up there water to the right point, and every other weekend when i went over there i would emty the water and re fill it with new fresh water from the bathroom sink.
Then, on wedesday i went over there and one piece of bamboo had turned white!
And the others were bright green.
the white one was all soft so we seperated it in different water then it dident do anything.
What did i do wrong?
confused.gif

the water your using may be to strong, too much minerals, chlorines, ect. or your changing the water to much!The plants cant be like touched that much!Light could be another problem, but im not the best bamboo knowing person so ill let you go,
Kevin

Mike I am not clear about how you are growing your bamboo. What are you filling up with water?

Bamboo likes water but it isn't a water or even a bog plant and it will rot if you try to grow it right in the water.
I have bamboo growing like a weed here (it is tropical so I guess that's to be expected) and I use VERY hard water with lots of disolved minerals and it doesn't seem to matter.

Bamboo likes LOTS of light, the more the better.

Cheers, Troy.

I think it might be "lucky bamboo". I think you have to be lucky to keep it alive. It's actually not bamboo but a type of Dracaena I think.

Maybe this will help:

Lucky Bamboo Care

Found this tidbit of info on another site:
Water: These shoots will grow indoors for years with virtually no care, requiring only that they rest in an inch or two of purified water.
(NOTE: DO NOT use standard tap water, over time it will damage the plant's vascular system). The water should be changed every few days.

Back