What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aloe vera plant

Hay guys, and gals, any of you growing an Aloe vera plant? My grandma has one and it's not in good shape. Can I get any info on this plant, like how much light, water, and any other info you can give me would be nice, It's siting in a 6" pot I don't no what type of soil it is in. Most likely the same soil that it was bot in. Thanks guys...

Hi showbiz,

Exactly what is wrong with your grandma's plant?  Can you give a better description of what it looks like or what looks wrong?

I had one last year that was about 2½' across and 3' tall not counting the flower stalk.  I finally succeeded in killing it by letting it get froze last winter.  It took a couple of freezes before it finally gave up the ghost.  I grew it in regular potting soil and let the soil dry very thoroughly between waterings.

Lots of light, well drained soil, do not over water. Do not plant outside in areas of heavy frost. Treat almost as a cactus.

I have tons of these guys growing outdoors year-round. I do not bother with a specific soil. I planted them in the ground(clay, loam, some potting soil) and they are spreading faster than wildfire.

Most of the plants are growing in full sun all day. I have some plants growing on the north side of my house. These guys are growing very well with only 1 or 2 hours of direct sun. They are watered by the sprinkler, which turns on everyday in the morning.

Thanks guys for the advice. It kinda looks transparent, and it hasn't grown new leafs. It has little white bugs on it, the bugs look like silver fish but all white. I picked off the bugs with tweesers. And I've moved it to a sunnyer location. And I'll start to water it less. About twice a week instead of three times a week. Thanks again.
tounge.gif
tounge.gif

DSC00007.JPG

I have had mine in an 8' inch pot for years and it seems to be doing ok
wink.gif
. I just do a finger test to see how moist the soil is. If it gets dry then I water it. I also have it by a windowsill.

Travis

Yo that's a nice plant. I hope my gradma's looked like that in a couple of years.... So do you keep the soil damp to wet, or do you let it dry out everyone and a while?

Thanks. Just to the point were it is partially dry but still a tad moist. As you know they have moisture in the leaves so the soil does not have to be damp all the time. Plus, you can tell when it needs water by the aloe stems. They do not have that fullness to them (if you know what I mean). If you feel the stems they should be firm and not mushy soft. Then it is either to dry or to moist.

travis

Back