What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

banana tree?

Yes, that looks like a banana plant.
smile.gif
There are lots of different types of banana plants though, so I'm not sure how long it'll take to get bananas from it. I've seen plenty of plantain trees around here, and I can tell you that they need to be at least 8 feet tall to produce fruit. Then again, the one you have there might be a dwarf species that never gets past 5 feet.
confused.gif
I guess it's ok to say that your plant still looks a little small, so I think that in a year or a little more you might have some fruit, depending if it's banana or plantain (plantain usually take longer to produce fruit).

Joel™

Bananas and plantain are actually large herbaceous plants and not trees
wink.gif

it already has another banana growing next to it. about a foot tall. could it be a dwarf? b/c i think its a bit young to have produce another one. the large ones at garden centers have offshoots that are about the same size as mine.

That is a banana tree usually banana trees will bear fruit in about 3 years depending on space and weather. They are very nice plants. I dont believe it is a dwarf from the picture they can produce many offsets threwout its life time. Most darf do not grow more than 6 to 12 inches in year.
The one shown looks much younger and is quite large with only a few leaves how long have you noticed the plant in your back yard. And what is the weather like in your area.

J.

Most banana trees from pup will bear fruit within a year or two.

Most darf do not grow more than 6 to 12 inches in a year.

This is not true. A dwarf just means that the entire plant will not grow to be taller than 3-4ft.

i live in houston and you probably know the weather...hot and humid all through the year.  ive seen it about two weeks ago, but it was next to another plant that was not a banana, but something that looked like it(the leaves were kinda similar).  so i wasnt really sure if the plant was differnet form it.  since i first saw it, it put out a leaf every week.  it growing pretty fast for a big plant.  does it need any special treatment for winter?  its pretty warm in the winter(almost never goes down below 32 degrees)  also, i havent been really giving it water, but it has rained quite heavily a couple times.  it gets almost full sun.

Do you kow the third most dangerous job in the world is being a banana picker? it is dangerous becuase of the banana spider, a very poisonous spider. Well that was a waste of my 2 cents!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Plantslikebugs @ Aug. 11 2002,5:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Do you kow the third most dangerous job in the world is being a banana picker? it is dangerous becuase of the banana spider, a very poisonous spider. Well that was a waste of my 2 cents![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Banana picking is only a dangerous job in places that have dangerous animals, such as the banana spider, growing among the banana plants. Places like Central and South America have lots of animals that can cause you lots of pain, but others, like Puerto Rico, don't have any of these bad guys. You still have to worry about wasps though...

Joel™

When I visited a banana plantation, they said they always kept the number of offshoot plants down to one so it wouldn't take too much from the mother plant and reduce the size of the crop.

so if it sprouts more and you want big bananas you might want to cut the extra offshoots off...the mother plant will die after it has produced the bananas. so keeping one keeps the number of plants stable too.

btw, there is a set number of leaves the banana plant will produce before it flowers, I don't remember the number (sorry) but I always thought that that was cool

hope that helps
confused.gif

I just thought of something else

where did it come from? is it a self setter? if so it won't be a yellow banana cos they don't have seeds, they need to reproduce vegetatively (ie by the offshoots)

i have no idea where it came from...it was there when i moved into my new house. the owner must have planted it.

I guess you will have to wait and see,

hope it is a banana, the flowers are pretty amazing to look at

good luck with it

Back