What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

YIKES!

Ok...

I have a Hawaiian Umbrella plant, and I noticed on Saturday there were real mini mushrooms growing up from the soil. Now these mushrooms were NEON yellow. I get home from work on Wednesday, and two of them have grown to 3" tall! It scared me, thinking there is something mutating in my plant! Has anyone had these appear before? I wish I took a picture, but instead I put on a pair of rubber gloves and dug them out of the soil. Tiny ones were all over the top of the soil. (I should mention that this plants soil is covered w/ terrarium rocks)

Meagan

I've had them before in pots for my regular plants when the soil is very damp. They're actually quite the pest, as you know they grow quickly - and can spread to other pots. I recommend getting rid of them by digging them out of the soil asap (as you did). If they stick around too long, the spores will continuously grow back in that pot. I had to re-pot a number of plants due to this mushroom the first time I encountered them, they can get pretty big and compete for space with your plant.

Awww........ neon yellow mushrooms sound cool, but competing with plants......... NOT!!!

I wouldn't worry too much about them. They're probably an indication that the conditions are good. Enjoy them. I wouldn't eat them though... they might bring you closer to god. Seriously... don't eat them.

Just admire them and respect their potential dangerous toxins they may hold within thier slimy celluar walls.
smile.gif
Also like Dyflam said mushrooms are an indication of good conditions IE: enough moisture,humidity,etc.

I had a close encounter with shrooms before lol, i still do actaully. First there were a tiny coloney of shrooms in my nep. "gubler's hybrid" about 3 months ago. I didnt think much about them until one shroom got to be like 3 inches tall! Well, i dug out most of them and left a small coloney, to see what will happen. Well, they are still there and are about 1-3 inches tall. Doesnt seem to like strong light, as last time my nep Gubler Hybrid got strong light, the shrooms semmed to have wilted.

I've always enjoyed the little shrooms that pop up in houseplants.. I grow several kinds of edible mushrooms too though so they tend to pop up places as well.. I've never had a problem with them.. they don't seem to harm the plants at all
smile.gif

Back