What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roses

I got a beautiful bouquet of roses from my hubby for my birthday, and I've always wanted a rose bush. Is there a way I can use the existing roses for cuttings, root them and get a nice plant out of it? If so, anyone know how?

All help is, as always, appreciated!
smile.gif

I think cuttings are usually taken from the woody part of the rose and not the flower stem. You could try snipping off the end and putting some rooting hormone on it. Put it in soil and cover with plastic to keep the humidity up. Maybe... just maybe...
smile.gif

Excellent! I put some water in a plastic tupperware container with some rooting hormone, and took the end of, clipping it on both sides, and I also pulled off a leaf and threw it in too...just in case!
smile.gif

We'll see what happens. If any has any other ideas they can offer before my roses die in case this doesn't work, all ideas are apprecaited!
smile.gif

Well. Sometimes the roses come with leafy (almost) branches... Wut if u tried it with that? Like, cut it off (with some of the woody stem part peeled along with it... U know?), then dip it in rooting hormone, and put it in some good soil... Yea. Hehe...

might work if u have leaves on stem. cutoff flower, apply hormone and put OUTSIDE in garden soil, otherwise u may get fungus. bury stem 2 thirds. take a long time to root.

so you mean cut off the actual flower head with a little stem and put it in soil (and root hormone might help to I suppose)?

Maybe I can try that too...
smile.gif

Actually, I meant to take your stem with the flower on the top, cut the flower off and throw it away, dip the bottom of the stem into hormone rooting powder, bury the stem two-thirds deep outside in your garden and leave it for about a year.

Back