What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aristolochia elegans

i recived this plant a while ago from cooks , I looked up info on the plant but there was much so iw as wondering if anybody knows what tpye of soil , its size , how much light , how much water , the temps , the cliamte , does it need humidity , does it need dormancy , does the make flowers , can i give it fertilizer , and is it an annual or perrenial . the cool thing about this plant is that it make flowers that look carnivorous which i believe are carnivorous .

The flowers look neat, but they are in no ways carnivorous...

Hi there, Aristolochia are one of my favorite vining plants (after Nepenthes of course)! Not easy to find info on. They are perenial vines, some deciduous in areas like CA and PA and some are tropical (the species from mexico and S. america)
They will do well in good light and will enjoy a trellis to climb and wind around on.  
As will all plants high humidity will only help speed growth along.
Give them a good draining peaty soil (i.e. peat, pearlite, leaf mould, small orchid bark or lava rock, etc). fertilizing is fine for them and they will take a lot during active spring/summer growth. They also like BIG pots, because Aristolochia make large root systems, plants in small pots soon die (I know cos I've killed a few before I'm ashamed to admit). Most plants will eventually be unhappy in pots of any size and will need to be reduced to cuttings and restarted after some time. Start with a 3 gallon nursery pail with a 2 ft 2" x 2" trelis and you should have a happy plant for this year and maybe all of next year!

Good luck!
Even non carnivorous plants can be cool (they do imprison bugs in their flowers but not for consumption).
smile.gif

And if you really want it to take off I suggest planting it directly in the ground, where it will readily over grow anything with in reach.
wink.gif

I just got a very nice Aristolochia gigantea tonight at Lyndale Gardens plant shop for $25. This one is sometimes called Aristolochia "Brasilaensis" looking very similar to A. elegans but is larger with more maroon coloration and white mottling that looks like lighting bolts going to a bright yellow sun "entrance" topped by a solid maroon flush over the opening. It was sold as "Dutchman's Cap Vine" and of course none of the workers who saw me with it had any idea what it was and asked me about it. It's in a bit of cold shock from their greenhouse conditions but the flowers that haven't yet aborted look good and there are two nearly ripe seed pods as well as good looking new growth so it mustn't have been there very long yet.
Anyway, cuttings or seed trades is fine if you wanna swap any later in the year. I will have more Aristo. species to swap in the summer, I'd like to get some native US or Chinese Aristolochias if anyone has them!

Say Josh did you see and A. peruviana there?
I just love those gold and brown flowers.

biggrin.gif

No they only had A. gigantea, but Logees has A. "Peruviana" for like $10, you do mean the one that looks like a group butterflies right? I've seen it reffered to this way which makes me think, like A. "Brasilensis" it's got another name somehwere.
It sure is a PITA to find worthwhile information on Aristolochia! Most rescources online are just advising against consuming it and only my largest plant encyclopedias even make mention the most well known members of the genus (A. ringens, A. gigantea, A. elegans and A. grandifolia), yet there is considered to be 500-600 species worldwide. I wish I could locate an actual monograph on the species somewhere.

The thing with brasiliensis is that it is gigantea, just a varient.
A. gigantea var. brasiliensis is generally larger flowered, the flowers are distinctively red where as the nominal species posess much smaller flowers that are nearly black they are so dark maroon.
As a matter of fact the plant logees is selling is the exact plant Im speaking of. To me it looks distinct from other Aristolochia in that it appears to flower from its base, but then that is the only picture ive ever seen of its flowers.
Yes it is a sad fact that there is a serious lack of quality information on this fascinating genus.
biggrin.gif

Incase anyone wants to do a trade of anything exotic such as aroids, cps, etc. the seeds of A. gigantea are ripe and available now just PM. I'm looking for other Aristolochia species first and foremost.

There are some other species which seem to flower at the base, here is one intersting page I pulled up on Aristolochia arborea from Mexico to El Salvador
Aristolochia arborea
This one is actually described as a tree-I really wanna see that someday!

Thats awesome! I need to have it now.
wink.gif

Back