What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Passion flower care

I bought a few "Perfumed Passion Flower" seeds at a Gardens in Pennsylvania. Are there any tips on germinating/growing them? Do think they would do well in a 29 gallon aquarium?

Thanks,
Mike
smile.gif

Edit: The scientific name is Passiflora Alata.

Hi Mike

Sorry for the late post. Passionflower seeds are difficult to germinate...typically germination rates are low although some varieties germinate easier than others. I have a p. alata. Out of all the seeds I had I got only one to germinate. Its very different from all my others with a tough, triangular vine and large leaves and does not branch easily. It has never bloomed for me although my others do.

Passiflora are vines and are not suitable for a terrarium. They need space to climb (they can get up to 60 feet long) and usually lots of sun. Most species fruit and the fruit is edible although some are tastier than others. All are tropical and can't take cold temps with the exception of p. incarnata which is native the U.S.

To enhance germination chances, take the seeds and nick the tough hull with a knife or fingernail file (this is not easy&#33
wink.gif
. Then soak overnite in orange juice. Plant as you would normally in potting soil covered about 1/4 inch. Have patience...some passiflora take up to a year to germinate.
confused.gif
But many will germinate in 4-6 weeks.

Sorry if this is too late to help you.
sad.gif

suzanne

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Sorry if this is too late to help you.
sad.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

It's not to late.
smile.gif
Thanks for the info. I haven't had any germination yet, so I'll try scarring the seed and soaking them in orange juice.

Thanks Again,
Mike
smile.gif

Back