What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two voodoo lilys down

This is very irritating! Two of my three awesome Sauromatum vensoum (see larrys post) have fell over. One I simply moved from one end of teh patio to the other (about six feet). When I set it down the stem had already bent itself in a "n" shape and there it remains, now the stem has gotten mushy/slimey on a strip running up the whole length of the stem.

What's killing my Sauros? There's no visible insects and nothing else is dying. Is there anything I can do for these two or just throw them away? If I cut off the stem will another grow from the tuber underground do they have a back up node? I think I will bring the last one in so it will hopefully live a bit longer!

Hmm, weird. Its a little bit too early for dormancy. Mushy is never good. If the tuber is still in good shape, it will grow again next year. It may or may not grow another leaf this year, most likely not, especially if its a big mature tuber. Was it mushy after it was bent or did it bend because of the mush? I'd check the moisture of the soil. Not too wet, not too dry. It should have big thick healthy white roots, if not, then something is wrong. I've had problems with tuber rot on some Arisaemas, but Sauromatums don't seem to mind more water.

It did get mushy after it came down but before it went over it developed some dark "wet" looking spots on the leaves which simply "melted" when I touched them, mkaing holes in the leaves.

The other one stood itself back up and now looks fine and the other one tipped itself over!
confused.gif
They sure seem weak stemmed, I think I might have them quite shallow as to what they should be planted, they are 36" tall or so in 6" diameter pots. The only "rule" I ever read was to make sure the pot is twice the diameter of the tuber well it was but the plant actually looks way too big for that size pot. I don't see any roots from the bottom of the pot so perhaps not? but how deep should they be planted mine might be 3" deep... should they be more like 12" deep?

Mt Sauromatum venosum from Larry never did anything. You think something is wrong with them? The tubers are not mushy or smelly just lazy is the best way to explain it. Any ideas?

Josh, planting them 3" deep sounds fine. But a 36" tall plant in a tiny 6" pot, yikes!
wow.gif
I'd switch to a 12" or bigger pot. The Sauromatums send out long, thick, but fragile roots. Very easy to accidentally snap off as they are very crispy.

Dustin, them smaller tubers are very stubborn!
mad.gif
Mine are only now thinking about growing. After about a week of hot hot weather, all my aroid tubers have grown or show signs of growing. I did plant one of the Sauro tubers directly into the ground, and that has already grown and spread its leaves
smile.gif

uh oh i'm having the same problem with my sauromatum . its bending too much i don't think it'll ever bend back . it used to lean over to the side of my window to get some light . my plant is in a 9 inch pot and the tuber is about 3-4inches . i don't think i planted it deem but i don't think thast the problem . i think its ebcause theres a small plant growing on the stalk as well so probably its pushing the big plant to make room ( the small plant is grow right from the stalk not seperatly . at the moment my plant is 3 ft long and is bending that is alomost touching the ground ( below the pot ) mines isn't turning mushy or anything though .

The second stalk that it's growing won't push the first one aside. They grow happily together.

Mine still haven't done anything....just grow a little "nub" like a regular bulb does. When do these thing grow? In December?
tounge.gif

Dustin,
Wow, these guys are stubborn! I find that heat does the trick. Even the slowest ones has started to emerge from the substrate. Don't it get super hot in NY?

Hot eh..........................hmm maybe they would fancy a match or propane torch to get them going?
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif

It gets nice and roasty in the gh some days if we get full sun and it has been a killer for the past week in there! I had to open the door just to help heat to escape! I have NO idea what I am doing wrong. I didn't plant them...just have them sitting on a moist top soil mix under my benches. They are alive but just sitting there.

wow.gif
wow.gif
wow.gif
Well, that's the problem right there! Plant them immediately, and keep the soil extra moist. They'll send out roots in no time.

What should I pot them in? I had my mix before but I think I am wrong on it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (larry @ July 20 2003,10:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The second stalk that it's growing won't push the first one aside.  They grow happily together.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
not in the problem i'm having , the lil one keeps growing and its pushed the mother plant so much that the mother plant is shaped like an upside down stem and it is lieing on the floor that i put its pot on , hope it grows ok , it does'nt seem to be dieing though .

Dustin, these guys can grow in just about anything. I planted one in the ground (very clayey) and it grew. But good draining soil with lots of fertilizer will make em grow big and fast.

Goldtrap, as long as the second stalk grows fine, don't worry too much about it.

Would some sand and perlite and peat or potting soil be suitable? I think I am over-reacting and treating them like orchids!
tounge.gif

I use a mix of peat, sand, bark chips, potting soil, and lots of time release fertilizer. And yes, you're overeacting
wink.gif
But pot them up right away. Once they're planted, it'll take them no time to grow.

Yay, I be up and on the soil right away! Hmm...I have old soft wood that would be nice to have it in there for extra nutrients and a natural appearance.

They live! Muhaaaaahahah! I can't wait to see leaves....the prtective mottled black and red thingy is cool enough, they remind me of a Skunk cabbage spathe.

Excellent! But man, to think, all this time it wasn't growing cus it wasn't planted lol
tounge.gif

I have several Sauromatum venosum plants in the yard and their stems always grow in a half-bent over fashion. They are very sensitive to changes in soil moisture and temperature. If they dry out even the slightest in the hotter days of summer, they tend to die back. Most of the time the bulbs are fine. I keep them in very dry pots during the winter, or dig them up and keep them wrapped in dry sphagnum over the winter. Sauromatums are prolific reproducers, so I'm less careful with these, it seems. My other voodoos, though, all get dug up and stored away for the winter. All of these bulbs rot very easily if they are damp and cold.

Oz

Back