What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Germinating Aristolochia elegans.

Does anyone have any experance with this? I've got the seeds but no info.
Thanks alot
Rosie

I tried to grow this plant from seed a few years ago. I remember the instructions quite well!!!
The seed (small very thin disk shaped) needs to be soaked for 24 hours in warm water. An old thermos flask is ideal for this, don't use a new one as the seed is toxic and stains the water a tea colour.
Sow the seed on the surface of a peaty mix and keep warm in bright light.
I had no germination at all. I was inexperienced at growing things at the time though! I have also heard that the seed needs to be very fresh as viability is short.

Thanks Richard!!
I'm gonna give it a go then, I'll let you know how I get on.

Hi Rosie

I don't know if this will help or not, but IF the seeds are hard to germinate it can help to soak them in orange juice overnite. The acid in the O.J. will help soften the outer husk of the seed.

I used this trick to germinate passiflora seeds which are notoriously hard to germinate. And I did have a pretty good success rate on most of them.

Suzanne

Back