What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chlorophytum comosum

i have about 6 seeds (that look healthy) and i was wondering if it is really hard to grow this plant
if it needs stratification
confused.gif

how long
tounge.gif

thx
biggrin.gif

Hi Raw,

Spider plants are not native to places with very distinct winters, so stratification is probably not necessary. If anyone knows, correct me if I'm wrong.
smile.gif

Raw, are the seeds very big? Do they have thick protective coverings? If so (which I doubt), they may require scarification, which means you'd scarify the seeds, i.e., you'd slightly nick the coats with a sharp object or scratch them a bit with sandpaper.

Most likely, the seeds will require no 'treatments' whatsoever.

About how deep you should plant the seeds: if they are tiny, do not bury them at all. It is better to err on the side of planting them too shallow rather than planting them too deep, causing them to expend energy unnecessarily.

Potting media: you may want to buy a sterilized mix specifically intended for seed-starting. A peat/sand mix would also be fine, but not ideal. Just make sure the mix is sterile. And do not use regular potting soil b/c it is too heavy, too dense.

There are a lot more details about seed-starting that you have to know before attempting it. Do some research online first. Use a search engine like Google. Or check the local library.

Care info for adult plants: access the link I provided in the other thread by the same name.

Good luck! And more questions are welcome.

Chris

ok how do i know if it has a seed covering too big or not
and uh its green seed triple edged. about this big (¯¯¯¯)
                                                                       \-/
(yes the size it posts not the size i see when im writing)
its looks to me like it wont get bigger cuz its been like that for a  few days and seeds that used to be saller are same size as it is now, too
i have canadian peat moss and its dried up, im sure its pure though is dead peat moss, good ? THX
tounge.gif
tounge.gif

OK...I shall attempt to translate what you just told/asked me and then provide an answer...done!
smile.gif

It is still kind of hard to tell what the seeds are like using your diagram. If you could tell me what the length and width of one seed is in say, millimeters, it would be appreciated.

What exactly do you mean by the quoted passage below?
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">its looks to me like it wont get bigger cuz its been like that for a few days and seeds that used to be saller are same size as it is now, too[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Unless seeds swell with water (e.g. Mimosa seeds), seeds do not get bigger.

Peat would be a satisfactory germination medium as long as you transplant the seedlings when they start to develop true leaves (as opposed to cotyledon leaves) into a more appropriate medium, i.e., one that is better aerated and includes regular potting soil.

BTW, all peat is dead. By definition, peat is the partially decomposed remains of the inhabitants--usually mosses (the genus Sphagnum in our case)--of a bog. When growers refer to 'sphagnum,' what they mean is the dead, *undecomposed* strands of Sphagnum moss, which when decomposed is the primary constituent of peat. When growers speak of sphagnum, they usually mean dead sphagnum as opposed to live sphagnum, which is a less common soil amendment/topdressing among growers. 'Sphagnum' and 'long-fibered sphagnum' and 'long-strand sphagnum' are synonymous.

Chris

Back