What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Iris seeds

I got tons of this stuff, free seeds to anybody that wants it
smile.gif

iris.jpg

a question about the Iris i always thought it was a bulb and not seeds. if i am wrong please correct me

ooh this was JuSt on my snapple bottlecap fun facts...
Irises dont come from bulbs =P

I would be interested in some iris seeds if there's still some left...
=P

George,
Iris is most easily propegated by deviding the tubers. They don't often produce seed. And, of couse, tubers are the surest way to get an exact copy of a particular plant.

bigcarni.kid that is what i thought that Iris doe sand how to get the exact copy of the plant. i always saw the tubler that you grew them from but never knew or saw that they produced seeds. it would be nice to have some plants growing in the yard that the street i live on is named after

BCK,
Irises don't often produce seed? The one growing in my backyard has produced thousands of seeds. I don't know how long it takes a plant to grow from a seed, but I have plenty available.
smile.gif

Larry,
I'm going by what I see around here. I have noticed that wild iris almost always produce seed, but many of the hybridized Bearded Iris seldom set seed. Out of a dozen plants I might see 2 to 3 seed pods. This year I only found one pod and it was on an iris growing in the alley behind someone elses yard
biggrin.gif
. It was with the hybridized iris in mind that I replyed to George and should have thought to point that out.

I thought about asking for some seed, as those are beautiful iris, but I wasn't sure if they would do well in Colorado.

I doubt what I have is hybridized. Saw it growing in my backyard and thought the flowers looked good.
smile.gif

Wouldn't happen to know what species I have would you, BCK?

Sorry Larry, I haven't a clue. Matter of fact I thought of asking you the same question lol
biggrin.gif

Back