What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not so lucky bamboo

unknownclown

BoooOOOOooooo!!!!!
Hello again
smile.gif

Ok you know I just don't understand this, for a plant that is supposed to be so simple I'm sorta strugglin here. I just can't figure out why the suckers are turning yellow. It's in a small water fall like thing so its getting plenty of water and its in a place where it doesnt get direct sun but it does get light. Can anyone help me figure this out is this normal is there a way to get it green again or is it a lost cause once they turn yellow?

Oh and by the way I did read in the other thread the link for growing instructions Im kinda thinking I might need to fertilize mine again.

I would try a light feeding.

I think I saw someone mention using superthirive as well when theirs was yellowing, maybe try that along with the fertilizer.

Personally I would go light on both though, at least to begin with.

i keep my bamboo in a shady part of my kitchen, they are doin great! In fact i just made a few cuttings that are growing roots like crazy! I use tap water, they get an afternoon sun, i keep them about room temp. I havent used any fertilizer, but it seems like I do!, they are a dark gree colour, with tall leaves.......sorry, i dont mean to brag
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif
smile.gif
. I would give them less sun, not a whole lot, but see if it works, and (or) put them on a west facing window. Hope it helps,
Kevin

I think you should be aware that "Lucky Bamboo" is not really a Bamboo at all, but different species of Dracena. That way you can search for growing instructions for the correct plant.

From another website:

What causes the leaves or stalks or stalks to turn yellow?
After considering the possibility of too much light, the next element to consider is the source of the water you are using. If you live in a city where fluoride is added to the water, or has a high chlorine or salt content, one or a combination of these factors will cause this problem. Yellowing is first seen at the tips of the leaves and then spreads throughout the whole stalk until it dies. It is vital to provide pure, clean water, either by adding an effective filtering system to your tap, or by purchasing water for this purpose. If you suspect that this is your problem, and you improve the quality of your water, allow time for healthy, new foliage to form before concluding that something else must be wrong.

Lucky Bamboo seems to have taken our country by storm. Am I the only one who grows the real thing? Lucky Bamboo is more or less a common corn plant with the leaves stripped off the lower part of the stem to expose the nodes. Same genus, just different species.
Bye for now,

Back