What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack in the pulpit

Does anyone grow Jack-in-the-Pulpits (Arisaema )(aroid family). I have been trying for 3 years to grow some and have had little success. I have researched the web and found a lot of information, but only the basics of growing them. In my experience, they will start to sprout, then they die off.
This year starting last fall, I purchased some of the Botanical Wonders bulbs and when I got them home, immediately put them in the refrigerator and left them there all winter, recently taking them out and placing them into pots with rich, loose soil and have watered them very lightly this time instead of the heavier waterings that I gave them in my earlier attempts. So far, one of them has sprouted a 1/2" growth tip and has not dampened off or turned brown (it's purple) and that's a good sign.
They are being kept on my patio mostly shaded by other plants and the temp range at this time is 50 to 75 degrees F.
Any info from experienced growers would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to grow them for my dear old Dad who will soon be turning 87 and he speaks often and fondly of seeing them Wisconsin where he grew up. I am slowly but surely getting him addicted to cp's and he still insists that this plant is a cp. I resist arguing with him that they are not cp's, but he likes to think that they are, and at his age, he's entitled to believe anything he wants, he has earned it. On the other hand, I may be wrong and he may be right; it wouldn't be the first time.

Alan

If your dad is real interested in these plants you should get him a copy of AROIDS Plants of the Arum Family from timberpress.com. It's an informative book and not so scientific it's boring or bothersome to the eyes to read.

I have not yet tried these plants but would like to, where did you get yours from? A website or garden center or?

I have two small bulbs planted, but nothing much has happened, just a little swelling. It's been well over a month.
Keeping them warm doesn't seem to make them want to grow any faster
confused.gif
As long as it doesn't rot, I'll be happy. I just had a precious A. tortuosum rot on me yesterday.
sad.gif

The Aroid book by Deni Bown is great, very informative. Not a book on Aroid cultivation, but still a good read.

Keep us updated on your Jacks!

This probably isn't much help but, I plant my bulbs outside in humus rich soil in fall or early spring and leave them alone and they do great. They also need shade. I'm assuming you are growing the kind your Dad would have seen in Wisconsin. I live in Michigan and that's the type I've planted.

I've not tried botanical wonders woodland plants yet. I have a bunch in the fridge waiting to go in the ground. Non of them are Jack-in-the Pulpit.

Many plant companies/nursuries that specialize in native wildflowers or shade plants sell Jack-in-the-Pulpit. Mine were a gift but I've seen them at local nursuries as well.

Glenn

they like moisture retentive but well drained soil in cool shade. so lots of leafmould or organic matter. good ventilation too.

Depending on where you are, it may be too warm for them.
Is 50 the lowest temperature they are getting, even at night? If so, you might want to try a tropical or subtropical species. Around here, where they (Ariseama triphyophyllum) are common, they seem to like shady areas, often not far from streams, where it stays fairly cool even in the summer because of the shade and running water nearby.

Thanks for the info on the book Swords, I,ll check it out. I got them last fall from a Lowe's
home improvement store.
Larry, I know about rot because I've suffered too many failures from it so this time I'm trying
keeping the soil just barely moist , simular, but slightly moister than the way they are packaged
(I find it interesting that the bulbs come sealed in a cellophane bag with what appears to be
dry peat moss, but when I kept them in the refridgerator occasionaly checking on them, I could
see a small amount of condensation indicating moisture). If anything good happens, I'll post a
pic.
Glenn, your info was very helpful. I'll make sure they stay in a shaded area and they are in
the soil that Gardenofeden mentioned. Right now the bulbs are in a mixture of potting soil, humus, a little
sand, and a small amount of compost.
Carnivorous23, ouch! If these plants are intolerable of hot weather, I'm in trouble. I live in Texas.
That means that about mid May I will bring them inside and put them in a window for the Summer.
If they are northern forms, I'll have to hope that they will survive or adapt.
Thanks everyone for the input as I have a better idea of how to take care of them now.

Alan

I have Jack in the Pulpits in my garden. They have never needed any special care...they just grow in my shade garden in the back. They are kept damp and cool. I would love to have more...I have seen some spectacular ones but they can be expensive.

suzanne

All the garden centers I've inquired to locally have said that they are having trouble getting them due to being an endangered wildflower. I'm in MN is anyone else not finding them this year?

Back