What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lithops

I placed an order for some Lithops and have been researching them on the net.  I have found many different suggestions on potting mixtures and was wondering how effective they are.

These are some of the suggestions I have found -

60% Peat 40% Perlite
40% Peat 60% Perlite
50% Peat 50% Perlite
60% Peat 40% Sharp Sand
confused.gif

There were some more, but I can't remember them all.

Do you Lithops experts have any advise for this Lithops Rookie?

I'm a bit of a rookie myself, I've been growing 4 lithops from seed for about half a year. I used a 50-50 mix of well washed playground sand and peat for the bottom layer of my bonsai pot, and the top 1/2 - 1/4" pure sand (looks great). The roots go alllllll the way down to the peat/sand mix, and they are healthy and growing normally so far.

Thanks, I received my Lithops today and they are so cute. Smaller than expected but cute just the same. My sister compared some to brains and some to baby's bottoms. I used a 60% / 40% mixture of canadian peat moss and perlite, didn't find any sand. I planted them in some african violet pots (the ones that have a pourous bottom with a compartment for water). I hope they work the way they're supposed to.

I'm so happy, now I just have to wait for the CPs to arrive from Exotic Gardens.
biggrin.gif

Back