What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Voodoo lily bloom

Here's some pics of my Sauromatum venosum (Voodoo Lily) that just bloomed.  The tip started getting taller and taller.  Then something poked out of the protective sheath.  Instead of green, it was purple.  I was fully expecting it to develop a leaf since I didn't think the tuber was big enough to produce a flower. But like I said, it was purple so I knew "Stinky" was going to flower(I rarely name my plants, but Stinky is just so special to me
wink.gif
 ).  On the day it opened, swarms of flies were everywhere, curious of where the stench was emanating from.  It doesn't smell as bad as the Amorphophallus titanum, but it still stunk!  Smells like a filthy petting zoo at some state fair.  I was next to it for hours taking pictures, the smell did finally get to me.  If I catch another whiff of it again, I'm gonna puke!  
tounge.gif
 And now, the pics:

Dsc00406.jpg

Dsc00658.jpg

Dsc00784.jpg

Dsc00839.jpg

Dsc00842.jpg

Dsc00851.jpg

Dsc00859.jpg

Dsc00870.jpg

Dsc00876.jpg

Dsc00897.jpg

Dsc00898.jpg

macnicently beutiful and stinky , lol . cool plant larry , i just got my flwering size sauromatum venosum bulb and quarter size amorphophallus konjac bulbs today from cooks and i can't wait to see the flowers myself .

Wow...thats awsome Larry!
smile.gif
Great pics (as usual)! Stinky seems quite popular with the flies. And you know...flies are kinda pretty enlarged.
smile.gif

Really nice series of photos.

Suzanne

That's excellent Larry! Sometime I'll see thoise flowers in (stinky) person.
My Sauros only put up leaves this year, each petiole is about 3 feet tall with a 14" wide leaf on the top. If I remember the bulbs were about 3" across.

Back