What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Identify passionfruit

Alright, I have a passion fruit that's growing like a weed, literally. It's gotten huge! It has grape like leaves and a bright crimson flower. Is there anyway given this info that someone can identify the variety? It is similar to Passiflora coccinea. If a pic would help, I can get one.

SF

Oh yeah, I also want to know if it will produce fruit?

A pic of the flowers and leaves would help.

Hey there Snowy

Well, first off, you don't have a passion FRUIT that's growing like a weed.
biggrin.gif
You have a passionflower plant (which is a vine). As for ID, that's hard without a pic or more description. There are lots of passionflower varieties...species and hybrids. Check out a web site called "Misty's Passiflora" (I think). I don't have the URL here at work. Misty has a bunch of flower photos and descriptions so you might be able to ID it that way. There really aren't a lot of red ones...coccinea being one.

As to whether it will fruit or not...that will depend on what it is. Some fruit with no assistance, some need hand pollination and/or a second plant; some make good fruit, some don't. Hybrids usually don't fruit or don't make good fruit (with the exception of some crosses that were made specifically for commercial fruit quality).

But that's great you have a passionflower. They are spectacular plants and can get as addictive as CPs...and orchids.
smile.gif

Do you have a pic of the leaves and flower?

Suzanne

I have to wait until another flower opens. There are several forming, so I don't think it will be long...
biggrin.gif

SF

Here ya go!

Leaf
PassionFlowerleaf.jpg

Flower
PassionFlower.jpg

So, does this help?

SF

It really looks like Passiflora coccinea....could also be vitifolia...look at this site and decide for yourself......

passionflowerfarms.com

I think it's P. Vitifolia. It hasn't made fruit even when I hand pollinated it (assuming I did it correctly).

SF
confused.gif

...passion vines take 2 to 3 years to become mature enough to bear fruit......

How big are they in 2-3 years? This one is covering a 15-20 ft section of a fence, so I figured it would be mature.

How do you tell if it is mature?

SF

I don't know...I have one that grows about 50 feet per year(no joke) and never fruits....some hybrids are sterile.......

Back