What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heliconia!!

Hey PFT.com people!

I caught a 3-4 ft long green iguana on Saturday (with the help of my sister) and we let it go at a forest near my neighborhood. We picked a nice spot near the road and went a little deeper into the forest when I suddenly saw a Heliconia plant!! It was really pretty, and I left myself a mental note to come back later.

Anyway, I went there again today, and I took two small offshoots from the mother plant (which is HUGE). I was just wondering if there are any people here that have grown heliconia; how should I treat it? I have it planted outside next to a red ginger plant (alpinia purpurata) and I'm wondering if it'll do well there (do these plants live in similar environments?). I'll be sure to post a picture up tomorrow so you can see what a truly beautiful plant this is.
smile.gif

Joel

Hi Joel

What is a heliconia? I've never heard of it. Post the pic...I want to see!

suzanne

Well, I'm back with the pictures and I'm sure you'll agree that this is a really pretty plant!
smile.gif

Here's a wide picture of the whole plant
9690917-4c6c-02000180-.jpg

Here's a picture of the inflorence, the little green things sticking out of the "beaks" are the flowers (i think)
9690925-1224-01800200-.jpg

Here's a picture of another heliconia that I had failed to see before. This one is something like 10' tall and is much closer to the road. I think that I'll take a small offshoot of this one too some other time.
9690935-a536-02000180-.jpg

Last but not least is the IGUANA!! :biggrin: If it were'nt for him, I wouldn't have found this cool plant.

9691165-75bb-02000120-.jpg

Joel

Great pics! The flowers on that heliconia kind of remind me of Strelitzia (bird of paradise) flowers. It must be the shape. Such plants (and lizards) you have where you live! I wish I could say I have grown heliconia.

Chris

Hi Joel

I have quite a few Heliconias, they're pretty easy to grow. If you have any banana's, treat them the same way. Lots of light, heat and water. They actually enjoy almost boggy soil so don't worry if drainage isn't too good.
Plant them somewhere where they'll get enough light and water and they'll grow like a (very beautiful) weed.

Cheers, fatboy.

Joel... what happened to the rest of the pic with the iguana?. Are you shy?
Oh and nice plant!! Ive seen some in the stores around here but not as nice as that one there.

Yeah it does look kinda like the Bird Of Paradise plant!!!! Cool! Also I would too like to know like Clown about the rest of the picture. Shy? Don't be!

It's not that I'm shy...... err... It's just that.... I don't like getting my picture taken.... but maybe I'll post a pic of myself eventually....
smile.gif

Joel

Awww, He's shy!!! Maybe you should show us the rest of the picture, for me, seeing as how I'm sending you nepenthes burbidgeae... I think thats wut its called...

^_^

I AM NOT SHY... REALLY!
smile.gif

I'll post my pic eventually... Just give me until the middle of summer...I still have a couple of lbs to lose...

Why don't YOU post pic of yourself Parasuco?!?! I'm sure lots of people are wondering what you look like...
smile.gif

Joel

Darn I can't post a pic Oh my self because I still have lbs to gain. Really I do

I daren't show them unless they prove that they are prepared for such hotness. Actually, I don't have a pic, thank you very much...

Eww...now i don't wanna see Parasuco's picture!!! Ewww.......:) Off course I am just a modern guy.
smile.gif
Very tall though. 6 ft

Perhaps a pen portrait of our in house god...
wink.gif

I'm 5'7...

Inseam - 30"
Waist - 30"
Chest - 30"

Dark brown, almost black hair with dark red, almost invisible highlights...

I am always clad with expensive clothes because i'm so pompouse. I dont buy cheap stuff.

Now that you've had a look into the world of Greg, arent you jealous your not me??? (I'm kidding, dont think i'm THIS arogant)...

Hehehehehe...

30" 30" 30"
confused.gif

A black top???

You sound like a big barrel of Guiness!

I like you already.

I'm not a cube... Keep in mind that I have a torso...
What do you mean by a big barrel of Guiness? I'm beer? Bah... I'm actually quite thin, but my actual chest is a BIT bigger then my tummy because of the fact that I own a ribcage.

LOL...you guys are toooo funny! I must admit, that was some creative editing on the photo, Joel. :) But that is a beautiful plant...it does looks a bit like a Bird of Paradise. The iguana is nice too but I'm glad you let him (or her) go.

Suzanne

Thanks for the compliment Suzanne!
smile.gif
I was happy when I let the iguana go.  I also went and bought a heliconia over the weekend along with a decorative banana plant. The one that I got is called heliconia rostrata 'lobster claw’. It is absolutely gorgeous, and I’m hoping it’ll just get bigger so that I can post the picture. I found the name of the wild heliconia too, but I completely forgot it when I got here...... DOH!! I’ll see if I can find it again somewhere on the internet, the name starts with a 'B' and is the Burgundy variety. Oh well... I can’t wait till they get huge!
smile.gif

Joel

hahaha!! You all are too funny
smile.gif

Found some heliconia at a tropical plant sale... bought one. Not flowering right now.
smile.gif

Back