What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey all, could you help me?

Once again my mother got a plant (this time african violet) and asked me how to care for it, and i don't know how to care for african violets!  
wow.gif
I told her to keep it wet like CPs, but without full sun, will these conditions kill it?
confused.gif
how should she care for it?
thanks
-Spec
smile.gif

Hi, not an expert on African Violets, but I can tell you what works for me.

Good drainage, that is key,they don't like to be wet, damp, not wet, allow to dry out slightly. I keep mine in west window, where they get bright indirect light all day, and about 4 hours of direct afternoon light. I water about once a week with 1/4 strength african violet food.

Like I said not an expert, this is what works for me. I am going to do a little bragging though and say that mine are almost constantly in bloom (one has over 30 blooms in a six inch pot).
smile.gif

Of course on the other hand my sister has almost as much success, and she forgets about them for weeks at at time...

The only way I succeed with these plants is to let them dry out until they wilt then water them again.

Hi
don't let water on their leafs, they don't like that...
and if they don't flower and have a big roset, remove the oldest leafs and they should flower, and you can use the leaf as cuttings.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (gardenofeden @ Mar. 10 2003,12:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The only way I succeed with these plants is to let them dry out until they wilt then water them again.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
well, it's wilting now, I better go water it
tounge.gif
wow.gif

Spec,
    my mom grows tons of them and i take care of them right along with the Carn. plants. water them once a week count to 10 when watering it. don't let the soil dry out to where it is dust. more of a damp feeling.
     as for the leaves it is some what easy to grow new plants from leaf cuttings. just break a stem off and place it in water. sometimes it will take sometimes they don't.
     i don't give them any light at all just the glare coming in to the back porch and they do great.
i have even imported some in from canada as a get well gift when she was in the hospital. she really wanted a blue flowering one.

I've killed every african violet I've ever owned.  So I sure can't help.

Glenn
confused.gif

African Violets are very easy to take care of. In fact, I have to stress them out to make sure they don't grow too fast. My smallest African Violet is flowering right now. It's about an inch across.
smile.gif

Back