What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bamboo

Is no one here interested in Bamboo? I would like to hear from other Bamboo growers and see some pics of other peoples Bamboo.

In New Guinea, I saw a clump growing wild that must have been a hundred feet tall, and the natives use the split canes to bring water to their villages from far away.

Here in Ca., they are popular landscape plants, but not the exotic varieties. They sell for about 100 dollars each retail for a 15 gallon pot, and 50 or 60 wholesale. I have to buy them all the time, as I haven't the space to grow them. Too bad you live so far from me, I'd rather give you the money to help expand your collection than give it to some mega nursery.

For some reason, the whole grass complex is in vogue right now, I'm not sure why, as they really don't do anything for me, but people want papyrus, bamboo, fountain grass etc...

I do wish I could grow some of the giant bamboo here, though. It's so increadibly usefull as well as pretty.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tim @ April 18 2003,5:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Here in Ca., they are popular landscape plants, but not the exotic varieties. They sell for about 100 dollars each retail for a 15 gallon pot, and 50 or 60 wholesale. I have to buy them all the time, as I haven't the space to grow them. Too bad you live so far from me, I'd rather give you the money to help expand your collection than give it to some mega nursery.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Why so much lol? a freind of mine across the street has it, and now he tries to get rid of it, he hates it, it's a weed lol, he lets me come over to his house and dug some up whenever I want.
biggrin.gif
Free bamboo, hehe

When it comes to fads, who can say? These nose rings and..........well, whatever. What species of bamboo is this that you're speaking of? Some are worth more than others, and I agree with you about the ease of propagation. One big rizome in the container with fertilizer ever two weeks will get a big plant "quick time"

Regards
Tim

I was just skimming through the misc. plant forum and then i saw this post on bamboo. It reminded me of something i heard about bamboo. I heard that some larger bamboo can grow up to 10 feet per day. Does anyone know if this is true?? I think this is absolutely amazing if it is true.

-buckeye

Back