What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trillium & tigridium

I just purchased some bulbs of Trillium grandiflorum, Trillium erectum & Trillium sessile 'Luteum'. I was inspired the geometrical look of these little woodland plants. How often do they bloom? Is it only once or continuous with good fertilizing? The package says they're easy and there is a chance (if garden planted) that they could become naturalized, is this true?

I also purchased something called Tigridia which I've never seen before. I grabbed it because the blooms on the package resembled the Trilliums but in showier colors with speckles and aparently iris like foliage.

I'm gonna be growing these in either bigger containers or troughs on my western patio or possibly eastern facing front steps. Any information you care to pass along from your experiences with either of these will be appreciated!
smile.gif

I'm not growing exactly growing them, but in the wooded areas behind my house there are veritable fields of them! Often they are ran over when they grow on fourwheeler trails.
sad.gif

From my experiance they grow in wet swampy areas with loose (not dense) soil. I'm pretty sure that they bloom continuously.

Oops! Forgot to mention, I was speaking of the Trillium Grandiflorum.
smile.gif

I'm growing several types of Trillium in my garden, including grandiflorum. They need humus rich soil and shade. They are easy to grow if provided these conditions. They are just starting to emerge and leaf out in my part of Michigan. I should have flowers nest week.

I'm pretty sure they don't bloom continously. They grow abundantly in the woods by my place and they flower in mid-spring to early summer....they are a great and beuatiful plant.

When I said they bloom continuously I meant that they don't only bloom once in their lifetime
smile.gif
 not that they are continually blooming
wink.gif

Just to clear that up
smile.gif

Hmm, I see the words "humus rich soil" quite a bit, what does this mean exactly?
I have been using a mix of 50-75% coarse sphagnum peat moss and 25-50% coccoa shell mulch (like Oak leaf mould only about twice as thick). Together this makes a very light soil mix that retains moisture but doesn't stay sopping wet (drains well).
Is this what is meant by "well draining humus rich soil"?

I never use additives like composted manure, bone meal, blood meal or anything like that I just use 1/4-1/2 strength balanced orchid fertilizers every week or two.

That's too bad they don't bloom often, I got them based on the shape of the blooms, are they only a one flower, once a season, bloomer?

Yes, they bloom with only one flower, once a year. But it does last a while, and is really beautiful in large groups.

By humus rich, the exact opposite of the soil for CPs is meant - lots of minerals, maybe a lot of decaying leaves (humus). The kind of soil you would find in a forest, where leaves fall and decay all the time.

Humus is the decayed organic matter. Pretty humus is standard compost so if you have any laying around or know anyone that has some you can maybe ask to use some....sometimes local nursuries have compost that they can give you....

Back