What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aroids in dormancy

i was just wondering , i know that sauromatum venosum and amorphophallus konjac go dormant , but when do you wake them up . what temps do i eekp them during fdormancy , do i acutally have to remove the tubers and store them dry ?

I dig up my tubers to save space. But you can leave them in the pot, just make sure the medium is dry, no water during dormancy. If you're keeping them in a pot outdoors, they will emerge sometime in the spring when the temps warm up. If you have the tubers out of the pot, you can visually see that the growing tip start to grow. As soon as this happens, pot them up.

When will S. venosum go dormant? Mine are sending up another set of leaves ATM, this will be 3 stem and 3 total leaves on each bulb.

thanks larry but my real question is when will they go to dormancy and when will they wake up from it .

I can't really say. It all depends on the weather. But why worry, enjoy it while you still can. I'd say they might start going dormant in about 6 weeks. Some of my other aroids have gone dormant already.

Dustin, sounds like you're doing a great job growing this guy
smile.gif

I dug up all my pots that seemed to die off and found one nicely sized bulb of A. triphophyllum. It's been sitting for a little while dry in the garage, is there any sort of wrapping or prepping I should do?

A. triphyllum corms/bulbs need to be kept from rotting during dormancy. I am fortunate enough to let mine grow outside in worm castings under a pine tree year after year.

Back