What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Colocasia esculante

Anyone wanting to try a cheap large aroid should take a look at their Wal-Mart garden center. I got two enormous bulbs for $5 ea today when I was looking for some large planters. The box I got the bulbs from said 3-4 foot leaves, so it's an out door one!
wink.gif

Which walmart did you go to Josh?
biggrin.gif

It was at the one off HWY 494 and Portland Ave. in Richfield (Minnesota). I just happened to see the box out of the corner of my eye (says Elephant Ears in big letters with a photo) they are located outside in the nursery section but not with the other spring bulbs just on a bench with some pansies or something. The tubers are just in a box with a pricetag and planting instructions STAPLED to the tuber!  
mad.gif

Hopefully they're hardy enough to withstand those staples!

If you go to get some make sure to feel them all around. There's a few with squishy spots in the box but the box is rather full so there ought to be plenty good ones in there. They are nice sized tubers too, one I got is about softball size and the other is about twice that size only oblong like a potato. Each weighs several pounds.

Wow those sound like some really big tubers. I think Im gonna have to head into Walmart today thanx for the heads up on the mushyness, the last thing i want is a squishy tuber.
And thankyou for the local tip.
wink.gif

Josh I have a few Amorphophallus bulbs ready to ship this week so I'll get them off to you (and goldtrap).

Incidentally, how big a garden to you have?

Troy.

If you want C. esculenta even cheaper, just stop on by your local asian supermarket.  That's where I got mine. 50 cents for a large tuber, I bought 2  
biggrin.gif

Troy, how big are the tubers you're sending?  I'm assuming they are the A. paeoniifolius?

Garden? What garden? Heh, Patio and front landscaping of the condominium complex is where I hide pots of plants here and there and it makes it look more interesting outside here.
biggrin.gif

I live on a second story condo but from the time the outdoors is 50 + at night I keep plants outside. I try to only buy the "tropical" types that can survive my house (i.e. Alocasia, etc ) with thick heavy leaves and low light tolerance. They just barely grow in winter but do get big over the summer and flower as the temps get cold in fall. I just can't do Neps outside cos we don't have the humidity even though we have a large lake nearby and seems plenty steamy to me from June til late Sept. I finally got rid of the squeaky old porch swing on the patio today when I bought home a 5 foot tall Phaius "Nun Orchid" so now I have a ton of new space!

Talk about an angry girlfriend!
wink.gif

Back