What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

planting the seeds

unknownclown

BoooOOOOooooo!!!!!
Ok I read about them and know I need to soak the seeds in warm water and all of that wonderful stuff but does it matter what I plant them in? I plan on using peat and I am sure that it'll work but is there something better I should use instead?

I just have some planted in regular potting soil.

They are growing crazy.

I really do not think that it matters what you plant them in.

Many people use peat to start plants out...so if you are going to use that...I see no problem.

Enjoy!

Cool thanks I had a feeling it wouldn't matter but I figured that I better make sure. Oh and I'm glad to hear that they are quick growers
smile.gif

The ones that I have planted are about 2 inches tall!

They look great...so cool...when my lights come on...the open and at night they close.

I think that they are just 'showing off' for the VFT's

to cool!

Well, I guess I was really excited.. I didn't soak them, and I planted about hald my bag the other day (I have not done anything with the rest..) But.. regardless of not soaking them, I have so far, about a 30% germination rate... they are still tiny though...

YAY :cheesy:
I got my seeds today and they are soaking. This is so cool!
You all probably think I am a dweeb for being so happy about them but as I have said my great grandmother used to grow them. My sister, brother and I used to play with them for hours just facinated by them. Since she died I haven't seen them in any store around here and I didn't know the name of them to look anywhere else.
This will bring back some good memories.

germination rate just went up... more seeds have sprouted, though they are just kinda 'chillin' with their two tiny little leaves there...  hmm.... Jaie, didn't you say yours were growing like weeds within days?

(Edited by RamPuppy at 10:11 pm on Dec. 21, 2001)

Out of curiousity how long did they tke to sprout? Oh and are these plants ok to handle fertilizers like Miracle Grow? I have soome Superthrive too
smile.gif
You know the 2 put together can realy get a plant going. I had a plant given to me cause it was near death so I could save it. I put the mixture of the 2 on it and the next morning that sucker woke right up. It only had 3 leaves left but they were sticking straight up.
Hm... I have enouh seed where I can realy experiment here 1 container superthrive, 1 miracle grow, 1 both, and 1 nothing.

I am not sure what all they can or cannot take...I have a link to a site in the other topic...It has a ton on information and pictures...but I don't remember seeing anything about fertilizer.

I don't remember seeing anything either I am pretty sure that I checked out your links that you gave. So I guess that we'll just have to find out. After all I have plenty of seeds to experiment with then I can let you all in on what works and what doesn't.

If it helps at all I can tell you that the plants that I picked the seeds from were literally growing in cow pats. Thats the fertiliser they were getting.

Actually that does help cause I know that stuff is very tough on sensitive roots. So fertilizer shouldn't be a problem at all then.
Thanks Fatboy :biggrin:

Hey fatboy,
I'm not kidding, when you said they were growing in cow turds that was only the second time in my life I've sprayed milk out of my nose! It isn't really that funny but it was to me at the time.
smile.gif

By the way, my pudica seed(whose parents lived, died, and persevered on cow pats) are growing very well.
Chris

Hi DE

He He..... glad to be of assistance!

smile.gif

They're sprouting!
smile.gif
So the miracle grow hasn't killed them yet and I seriously doubt if it will.

I watered mine with Miracle Grow a week ago, and while not growing like weeds, they are still healthy...

I think it is just to cold here for them to just take off like weeds... I can't wait until it heats up a bit, and we get some better sun!

Mimosa Pudica is an annual, right?

I think it said on that Mimosa site that people "grow it as an annual" which would mean it can actually survive longer but is most efficiently grown for one year, and then allowed to flower, stripped of seed, and allowed to die(because flowering would be too taxing energy-wise on the plant?).
Anyone?
Chris

Nah guys (or girls?)...

The stuff here isn't annual or perenial, it's eternal.
Just hangs in there all year.

Give it light, warmth and water and there's hours of fun for the whole family.

I Grow loads of these plants every year! I grow them in a general houseplant/ multipurpose compost. Adding fertilizers will not harm them but I find it unneccessary.
If you pinch the tips out when they reach about 4" high they produce lots of side branches that grow like crazy!
Has anyone noticed the wierd smell they give off when you expose the roots when re-potting??? Its a sort of musty woody?? kind of smell. Quite hard to describe!
A cool experiment to try is to light a match and burn the lowest leaflet you can find ad then just watch. Every leaflet, leaf will close in turn working its way up the plant untill every branch is drooping! And don't worry, the plant recovers about 20 mins later!!!

Back