What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weird..

i know that mimosas are touch sensitive and react to being touched or shaken.

but ive noticed a very odd behavior in mine and wanted to see if any of you have experienced it...

while i sit and watch the plant, it sways from side to side slowly. its not a result of being touched or shaken or a result of wind (its in a terrarium).

it seems to have a mind of its own! my guess is that it is moving like this either because its trying to get as much light as possible or the swaying movement helps it's growth. but these are just guesses and i hope one of you can shed some light on the mystery..

It is most likely very slight variations in temperature flowing over the plant. The plants are very sensitive to the temperature, and also, seem to have an almost psychihc conection to the sun's movements. I almost think they might detect solor flares or something of that nature. I have had plants open and close with the sun in a basement bedroom that gets no sun at all. They are really fascinating plants and I don't think I will ever unlock all their mysteries.

hmmmm....

im not sure if the variations in temp theory works because the terrarium is a very controlled environ.

the 'connection' to the sunlight theory might work...but my terrarium doesnt get any sun so the plant would truly have to have a psychic hotline to the sun...

but the swaying is dramatic that it really leaves you guessing. youd almost swear it was dancing or something...

You may just have VERY happy plant. Plants feel emotions, it's been proven. I just read a test about it in one of my students school assignments. A guy hooked a plant up to a lithograph or whatever(a lie detector) and then in the room next door he dumped a bunch of shrimp in a pot of bioling water, thus killing them, at this instant the shrimp started dieing, the needle went nuts for about the time it would take for all the shrimp to die. proving that, somehow or another, the plant sensed the death of the shrimp and felt something about it.

weirdest thing ever!!!!!!!!!!!!

just last night when my girlfriend and i were watching the plant sway, she mentioned that it might just be happy and that some plants can sense emotions around them....

so i responded by telling her about a discovery channel thing id seen long ago that showed the EXACT SAME EXPERIMENT you are talking about!!

that is so strange!

thats it..now im all creeped out...

Don't be creeped out, I'm psychic, thats all.

Ahhhhh... the Backster effect.

Have a look at this site guys (for some info on the plant with the polygraph experiment) The entire site is VERY interesting

http://www.skepdic.com/plants.html

Chris, I used to see plants move and sway and even  dance and sometimes breathe. It was always just after I had a little "chemical fun"!!! Don't do that any more, but what have you and your girlfriend been up to?

Cheers, fatboy.

ahhh.. another urban legend debunked!

good job detective fatboy...

i dont have a problem with the dancing, swaying, or even the breathing.... its when they start talking that really gets to me...

seriously tho, the plant really was moving significantly without chemical aid.

i think that it may have been doing it while it was sprouting a new branch. maybe like i said, it is part of the growth process.

ill figure it out eventually

That link is REALLY bizarre, fatboy. Haven't any actual scientists tried to duplicate this guy's 'experiments', though? I would have to conduct such an 'experiment' myself before holding such a radical belief. I mean, telepathic plants? :shocked:

And I have heard of people talking to their plants to promote growth. Probably the only times I've 'said' anything to my plants is a nasty expletive after dropping them, 'yuck' seeing a sick one, or 'd_mn thing!' seeing I've killed another cinerarium. But people once didn't think playing music to cows increased milk production, so you never know.
smile.gif
Talking to plants...and I thought I had too much time on my hands.

But your observation in that Mimosa is interesting. Mine don't seem to do that, even on windowsills. In the summer there will be breezes hitting them through the window, so I may see some sort of swaying motion. Chris, you guessed the swaying motion may help their growth. I doubt this, but it reminded me of the quest to find out why pigeons (a.k.a. flying rats) sort of jerk their heads forward for every step they take. I don't remember the conclusion of the great debates this doubtless caused, but it may somehow help them propel themselves forward.
Chris

hey chris

im beginning to think my 'movement for growth' theory may be correct...

once the new branch was sprouted, it hasnt moved the way i described since...

ill wait and see if it starts doing it again when a new branch is ready to emerge...

pigeons bob their heads cuz they are listening to rap music....its true i swear

You think they're sort of trying to help a new leaf get pushed out? cool

Yes, I've noticed those tiny headphones pigeons wear, thought I was the only one who knew...
wink.gif

Where do you buy a mimosa???

No, see its not rap music. They are getting a better look around. For them, it is hard to see black cars to poop on, so they have to get a sweeping look at their surroundings, in order to find their prime targets...

what are you talking about

Back