What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I got red ones

Yep. I got my mimosa to all start turning red. Not all red though, red like a green dragon is. They are really pretty and really compliment the Sarr. I have them planted with.

How in the heck did you get yours to become red?

I am growing in a window where they recieve about 15 hours or direct sunlight. I was worried at first that they were going to fry, but it is working out good. I just keep the soil soaked.

You live in eastern washington dont you?

Yep, I live in the great desert known as Moses Lake. You know, we seem to have several washington enthusiasts. We should arrange some sort of CP freaks day out thing this summer, I would really be interseted in meeting other growers.

that would be fun maybe we could go chase down some darlingtonia
smile.gif

Cobra lilies don't grow up here do they?? I thought no further north than oregon. I camp alot in the national forests and have never seen Darlingtonia. Come to think of it though, it might not be a bad idea to start trying to naturalize it in places.

I've heard it does grow in southern washington but I couldnt say if it were true but heck if you get that far to look may as well go a little further to Oregon

sure I guess, it would be really awesome to find them in the wild! I'ld love to see a marsh just full of them!

CP sight-seeing is a wonderful thing... :biggrin:

I'm going to the Green Swamp near Wilmington, NC this April looking for Venus Flytraps. You can expect a report from me on this in a few months. I'll also be visiting some botanical gardens in Chapel Hill that supposedly have a wonderful Sarracenia display.

Flint, regarding your comment about naturalizing Darlingtonia--I'm not so sure about that. I've read reports of VFTs and Sarrs naturalized in various, unnatural locations, but that's because they are highly endangered and non-invasive, i.e. they don't become weeds in a new setting.
http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq4200.html
Darlings are not in any immediate danger, so people haven't tried to 'move' them.
See the first paragraph here:
http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq5160.html
And I don't know if Darlings could be naturalized successfully without a lot of 'help', as they can be picky about their environment.
If you know any mountains in Washington with plenty of alpine, peaty, sunny, happy spots...
And check out:
http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq4380.html
Chris

Actually they do great on this side of the mountains. I know someone here who has been growing CPs since 1970 here and he totally 100% knows without a doubt that they grow great here outside. I say it like that cause he keeps telling me to put mine outside and I keep tellin him that if I did that Id miss them. It is getting kinda crowded in here though maybe this summer.
DE all the mountains here are alpine, peaty, sunny, happy spots
smile.gif
they are the same mountains just a little further north, they would love it here! #### if they had legs and arms I'd be willing to bet they'd pack their bags and move here themselves
smile.gif

Heh...so you should consider trying them outside in a bog garden. I might be able to grow them outside but only if I heavily mulched them in winter.

But if you think they'd love it where you live that is brings up the invasive species issue. Just planting them in some bog where you live could cause them to run amok (i.e. explode in population through stolons, etc.). They might be awesome carnivorous jewels, but invading another plant's habitat isn't a good thing. But of course you wouldn't go and do that, so why am I saying this?!

So go ahead and try 'em outside, it'll free you up more room inside, to be filled in instantly with more plants!
smile.gif

Chris

wow DE, would a good idea. I'm gonna do it ASAP! I'm a little sick of all these ugly natural wet lands all over town anyways. They need to be conqured in the name of CP's!!!! LOL. I'm kidding everyone. Really. Well, sorta, I think I might try planting some Cobra Lillies in a few bogs close to my house. I really doubt they will take over. They will just exist.

If you don't think they'd turn invasive, I don't really see why not. If there is little to nothing else growing there, and you're sure it's not illegal. I have no idea about the legality part. Of course, use your own plants and don't field collect.

Actually, I think it's probably legal as it's just like me planting a bulb not native to MA outside. Except I own my yard. The place you want to put darlings may be owned by someone else, in which case you'd need permision, and land owners would be VERY suspicious about you trying to put an alien-looking plant on their property.

I don't know. You're there. I'm not. Your choice entirely.
Chris

LMAO, it's insanely illeagal! That's like half the appeal man. Botanical mischief! lol, hahaha. Sorry, I just thought of myself doing hard time for it. "So whacha in fer?" "I got caught planting carnivorious plants in a protected wet-land". LOL

you got red ones dang thats nasty

you got red ones dang thats nasty

Joel: Wuuut???

Conversation: So, if my say, english ivy that i will be growing in my garden this summer, went awry, i would get in trouble???

if your Hedera started going 'kudzu-style' you could just pinch it back
smile.gif

and because english ivy prefers cooler nights than can be provided in Florida, it may not grow too vigorously

it's just like any gardener trying to grow something outside--it's not going to get out of hand because it's usually non-invasive

huh Joel?? :confused:
Chris

I live in ontario, so I think the nights do get sufficiently cool...

Back