What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anyone ever tried growing an orange tree?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wesley @ Aug. 29 2002,12:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Where is that? I have heard of it but don't remember where it is.  (Sigh... Maybe it was in Canada.)
confused.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Yes, it's in Canada!
wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Maehem @ Aug. 29 2002,02:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Carniverous, you can grow orange there, as a house plant. They do wonderfully. The one I left (along with three lemon and a grapefruit) with my mother when we moved to FL. was 7 years old, it never grew fruit but it did bloom and smelled wonderful.

Just keep them in a warm room with good lighting and mist regularly. You need to treat them somewhat like a bonsi (keep them pruned so they don't take over your house, and gently trim the roots when repotting) but it can be done and the smell of the blosoms is well worth the effort!!

Try it, you won't be sorry.

Mae[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Unfortunately, I have more than just the weather working against me! I have a small home, single-wide trailor *yuck*, 2 small boys, a cat and a dog. No warm, well-lit room that I can keep the latter 4 mentions away from, and no room at all for that matter! Maybe if and when we get a larger home...

<sigh> that's unfortunate... keep it in mind when you do get a bigger home
smile.gif

I know people who live in single-wides.  You could ad on to it.  Maybe you could ad a green house side to it.  leave the door open to let the heat in or give it its own heater.  (Oh yea
sad.gif
 that's not cheap though.)  Oh well it's the thought that counts.  
biggrin.gif

Oranges Yup.
Grapefruit Yup.
CumQuat Yup.
Lowquat Yup.
etc.quat Yup.
Tangerine Yup.
Papaya Yup.
Avacodo Yup.

Basicly; If it's got a pit, I plant it.

Oh, does any body nead a nearly fruitless Avacado that I started in kindergarden? A wee little thing of some 17' tall. Bring a BIG pot and a Backhoe.
wink.gif

Ghrey

I know someone who's got an avocado plant. It's about a foot tall. Where do you live because you'd have to have a LOT of room to grow all those plants and trees (indoors or outdoors).
smile.gif
wink.gif

I live In southern California, all of the above were/are outdoors plants. We even have orchids outdoors. Suffice as to say that our house is nestled into a little piece of botanical heavin.

Oh add Guava to the list. Just sprouted and it is 6" tall already.

I should probably catalog the whole thing.

I tried to cut a branch off a orange tree and make a cutting out of it so i stuck it in the ground and it has not grown for about 2 months already , is it that orange trees are no the type of plant that you can make cuttings of , do i have to wait longer .

I have personally never tried to grow an orange form a cutting, I hear it can be done though, with rooting hormone. Also I have heard that it is easier to get them to root if you airlayer them.

I would recomend doing a search ont he internet on airlayering technique and see if that works for you.

Mae

I grow nagami kumquats, dancy tangerines, dwarf meyer lemon, key lime and satsumi mandarines in my backyard in Southern CA USA along with guava, banana, hass avacado, strawberry guava, papaya, loquat(not grafted though), figs, passiflora, pineapple, various herbs and veges and red tamarillos.

I want to grow a mang plant. I love mangos! And maybe a kiwi too.

Back