What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anyone ever tried growing an orange tree?

Wesley

God must have an interesting sense of humor
Has any one ever tried to grow an orange tree from seeds? It is really cool to watch them grow.

When did you start growing it?

Sorry I am late to replying to this but yes I have an orange tree also. Very easy to grow and the flowers smell wonderful! My house smells like a citrus grove every spring. :)But anyhow, I have it in a mix of regular houseplant soil, vermiculite, and a bit of perlite. It is doing fine and has new growth that has emerged since I have had it. If you want to try one I suggest go for it!
smile.gif

Don't expect tasty sweet oranges if you grow from seed. Citrus that you buy are all hybrids and chances are extremely slim (possible though) that you will get "true" fruit. Typically you get a wild orange... very sour.
wow.gif

The blossoms do smell sweet though.
smile.gif

How about kumquat? Has anyone tried growing one of these? I once had some seeds that I wanted to grow, but I lost them.
sad.gif
I don't know about wild oranges, but kumquats could probably make your face implode!!
wow.gif
I'm gonna see if I can find more of those seeds.

Jœl

I tried growing an orange tree in a 2 litter pop bottle, during my pre-high school yrs. It was in there for about 2 yrs. in front of a huge window that got plenty of sun.............. poor little tree never got past 4 1/2 leaves. Then I had to start high school and left my little tree behind. I wonder if they remembered to water it
sad.gif

Mmmmm....Kumquats!!!! Tony intorduced me to eating kumquats, I must get a tree of them!
smile.gif
I LOVE them. Hmm......maybe a local nursury could be fo some assistance.

about 3 years ago along with a pear and grape fruit tree.

It sounds like most of you guys have adult trees, well my tree is maybe a foot tall and is starting to get little thorns on it. I am always have to pinch them of young or they get hard and i pretty much have to saw them off. ( I think I accidently pinched off a leaf that was sprouting.) Other than that my tree is also doing great.
You mentioned that if you plant the seed that it will taste super sour, well I know someone how started one from seed and they got their first orange last year and said that it was super sweet. They gave me the kind of orange that they planted. I assume from what you told me that mine is also a hybrid.

( Sorry for typing so much, sometimes I get carried away.)
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif

I have an asian grapefruit tree. It is only a few months old, (grown from seed), but is about 8" tall, and has several leaves. I told my brother, and he didn't believe me, so he took a bunch of lemon and lime seeds and stuck them in a pot of dirt. Well...guess what grew! Now he cannot tell the differnce between them! So I am aslo a proud owner of a mini lemon or lime tree!!!

I read somewhere that when you grow citrus trees, you must remove the first fruit. It is the "mother", and she can tend to make the fruit tart, but by removing it, allows the other fruit to grow more plentiful. Now... I do not know if that is true, so don't hold me to it!

Nifty, I have had my orange tree a few months and it is about the same height as yours.

The trick to getting sweet eddible oranges is grafting. Grapefriut root stock seems to work the best, but I have heard that grafting to another species of orange works as well.

Haven't tried it peronaly but I intend to. Unfortunately it will be a few years before I will know, my new seedlings are only a few inches tall
smile.gif

What does grafting mean? I have never heard of it.
smile.gif

Oh yeah!!! I remember, I read about that in a book sometime.  They would cut some zig-zag sape and stick another of the same shape into it and then wrap a cloth or something around it to hold in place then it would eventually grow.  
confused.gif
But why do you need to do that
confused.gif

I couldn't grow an orange tree here if I tried. I don't think it would survive Alberta weather. So I've never bothered. I'd love to be able to though!
sad.gif

Where is that? I have heard of it but don't remember where it is. (Sigh... Maybe it was in Canada.)
confused.gif

Carniverous, you can grow orange there, as a house plant. They do wonderfully. The one I left (along with three lemon and a grapefruit) with my mother when we moved to FL. was 7 years old, it never grew fruit but it did bloom and smelled wonderful.

Just keep them in a warm room with good lighting and mist regularly. You need to treat them somewhat like a bonsi (keep them pruned so they don't take over your house, and gently trim the roots when repotting) but it can be done and the smell of the blosoms is well worth the effort!!

Try it, you won't be sorry.

Mae

Wesley on Aug. 28 2002,10:36
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Oh yeah!!! I remember, I read about that in a book sometime. They would cut some zig-zag sape and stick another of the same shape into it and then wrap a cloth or something around it to hold in place then it would eventually grow. But why do you need to do that [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

They do it because some plants have good fruit or flowers, but the roots aren't very good or are prone to diseases or pests. Fungus's or root nematodes for instance. They graft the top part to a roots stocck that is better or more disease resistant and get the best of both plants.

They also do it so they can have one tree or other plant with several varieties of the same fruit or flower growing on it. Like and apple tree that has Granny Smith and Golden Delicious fruits on it.
smile.gif

Back