What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sensitive plant pod growth

I have a sensitive plant that flowered a couple weeks ago. Since then 2 or 3 pods have started growing down from each flower. There are little prickly spines on the pods. They almost look like pea pods. Are these seed pods? Or does my plant have some strange mutation? Does anyone know?? Thanks!!!!

-buckeye

Hey buckeye,
I'm not sure if they're seeds or not, but I'd be interested in some seeds. I grew this last year, late last year. So dormancy came before it really had a chance to make seed. It produced one flower, then it died
sad.gif

Hi larry. If they are seed pods i'll have plenty of seed to go around. I'll gladly send you some. In a couple days or weeks i'll PM you and let you know if seed is forming.

-buckeye

Well after quite a bit of research i found out the pods are seed pods. Here's what i found if anyone's interested:

"Flowers are pale pink or purplish pink in fluffy balls, about 1 cm across. They are on short stalks in leaf forks and develop into clusters of seed pods. Seed pods 2-3 cm long with stiff bristles along edges and one to five seeds. Pods eventually break up into one-seeded pieces. Seeds are flattened, small and 3 mm in diameter."

So i will have seeds!!! Yay!!

-buckeye

yep , those are seed pods all right , btw , i'm also looking for this plant , i've grown it many times and it was suppose to be a weed but it died on me so if you do get seed buckeye can i have some too
rolleyes.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">They almost look like pea pods. Are these seed pods?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Mimosa pudica is a legume; it is related to peas and the fruits look similar.

Giles

Does anyone have advice for getting it to produce seed? Our Mimosa has put up over a dozen blooms but I have yet to see a single seed pod
sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Does anyone have advice for getting it to produce seed? Our Mimosa has put up over a dozen blooms but I have yet to see a single seed pod [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Hi.  I'm not actually sure how to pollinate it but what i tried seemed to work. I think the pollen is on the ends of the tiny petals (it looks yellowish).  I used a small paintbrush to collect some pollen and i kind of dabbed it on the inner ball-like part (sensitive plants have such weird flowers ).  You have to do this the day it opens because the flowers die very quickly. After several days you'll see small pods starting to grow. Once they form it will take quite awhile until the seed is mature (I'm still waiting on mine to do this).

I did have mine outside in my greenhouse so some bees or something could have pollinated it for me.  Again, i'm not sure if this is how you pollinate it but it’s worth a shot  
smile.gif

-buckeye

I'm very interested in this plant..but can't find it anywhere around my town...mind sending me some seeds? Thanks!
My AIM addy is Cerius876

I've been looking for this plant, but I can't find any. I beg you to send me some seeds.

Hi. Unfortunately I am out of seed. Sorry. I should have more next year but that's quite a while away. You can get seed off ebay for around $3 a 50 seed packet. That's where i got my seed originally. Also, you could try seed stores on the internet and see if they have it.

-buckeye

Sounds fun.....sensitive plant in cultivation....I never knew people actually GREW it........

I probably could get seeds of this plant, but is it legal to send seeds to Uncle Sam's Abode?

Back