What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Passion Flower?

Hey PAK! We took a road trip to LOGEES a few years ago. It's a little over an hour from here, a very cool place. You would never even know it was there from the front. The rumors around here are that a LONG time ago a woman planted a lemon tree and built (and built and built) the greenhouses around that. We saw that original ponderosa lemon tree and it was unbelievable - it had lemons on it bigger than a football! They also had just STUNNING huge brugmansias and lots of other plants that had been there a long time growing up and around the tops of the greenhouse structure. I almost bought the "buddist's hand" lemon tree.

Back to passiflora, we grow P. edulis "Black Knight", P. "pura-Vida", P. cerulea alba "White Crown". We had a beautiful P. "Jeannette" from Logees, but it up and died in just 2 days last summer. My guess is someone poured something they weren't supposed to into it. Our growing season here isn't long enough for the fruit to develop. Our white crown produces the most flowers - we had over 40 blooms last summer. Just one on the black knight.

We are going to try to go to Logees again this year - earlier in the season. Last time we went, many of the passiflora were sold out!

Hey Lane - where are you in Dallas? I used to work at Baylor Hospital and lived near White Rock Lake. Boy, I SURE miss that great Tex-Mex. It's really hard ( = impossible) to find up here in Connecticut!

WildBill

Wow...neat story...sounds like a cool place.
smile.gif
I bought some of my first passionflowers from Logees. My very first I started as seeds from eBay years ago. Most passiflora seeds are notoriously difficult to germinate.

I used to NEVER EVER see passionflowers sold in nurseries around here (which was why my first venture into it was with seeds off eBay)...but just in the past few years, they seem to have caught on in popularity. Its not uncommon now to find at least P. caerulea and sometimes other varieties.

Passion flowers can be as addicting as CPs.
rock.gif
So far as I've seen, Logees offers more variety than most places do...they also have the wonderful little firefern I am so fond of...another favorite. The only thing I hold against Logees was their Xmas catalogue where they advertised flytraps and wrote HORRIBLE copy that said poke the traps with pencils and throw rocks in them.
mad.gif

So Wildbill...next time you go to Logees...give 'em #### about their inaccurate and irresponsible VFT copy.
biggrin.gif
It really was disgusting.

PAK, should I start a passiflora alata for you? Its a monster, and we are doing starts this spring. The flowers are just too much, and are too beautiful. Let me know if you want one.

Sure Bug! I'm always looking for new ones.
smile.gif
Once mine get going, I can get cuttings of any I have that you'd like. Right now they aren't strong plants having been in the basement for so long. It just needs to get a liiiiiittle bit warmer here. Thanks!
biggrin.gif

PAKinator, You're welcome and no charge.

Went to Logees this past Saturday and picked up a Passiflora "Lady Margaret" - with buds on it!! I also picked up a "Buddist's Hand" lemon tree. The fruits are weirdly distorted and look like long fingers. I'm Psyched.

WildBill

Hey WildBill

You'll have to post some pics of your Lady Margaret when she blooms. I'd like to see that. I'm hoping to get my passionflowers out of the basement this weekend and into the sun. We've gone from having freakishly cold weather to freakishly hot.

I was bad last weekend...I saw a P. citrina at the Greenhouse...but it was a TINY little standard for $50! Sooooo...I kinda pinched off a terminal.
wow.gif
Shhhhh...dont tell! I hope it roots.

PAK

www.kartuz.com has quite a few passifloras, and tells which species need to be crosspolinated with another clone to produce fruit. I would imagine SnowyFalcon must have one of the ones needing crosspollination.

my mom grows one that produces some really really nice flowers

They all produce nice flowers.
smile.gif
I'm waiting now for a bud to open on a new one I got last year. Hope to get a picture tomorrow if it opens.

they dont take over in a container but they do outside if you plant them in the ground in the spring like i do.
smile_n_32.gif
they really take over but i like them. i grow passiflora pfordi ,caerulea, edulis, incarnata . i have plenty of incarnatas. Anybody want some?

Back