What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

White Mulberry

Hello,
where can i get this tree for a low price? I am thinking of growing form seed. how long would it take for one to grow to, say, 5-10 feet from seed?

Hey spec,

I will send you some trees.

COOL! thanks so much!!!
biggrin.gif
how big are they? do you want anything as a trade? woohoo
cool.gif

cool.gif

cool.gif

cool.gif

oh, and this is spec... got 5 squares so i had to use my other name

Umm check woith your local goverment first spec, because white mulberry is banned in some areas because of its invasive seedlings. They produce a LOT if them. It is a short-lived tree. longer living than red but shorter lived than black mulberry. You need both male and female trees if you wish to get fruit. If you live in zone 7, black mulberry is a much better choice because it is cultivated for its fruits. But the fruits have  nasty tendancy to squirt when you try and pick them.
cool.gif

Edit:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You need both male and female trees if you wish to get fruit.
Uhh for reliable fruting i guess. Just, look here it will anser your questions http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/mulberry.html

Uhh. Where you live will pretty much make the choice of wich species to get for you. If you live in western texas, arizona, or new mexico theres the texas mulberry that grows nativly there. look Here for information on that plant.

Carefull in your selection of mulberry. Some varietys are frutless. Depends on what you want the tree for

I want them for silkworms
wink.gif
wow.gif
I didn't even know white mulberry made fruit! is it good? I think white mulberry is legal in california, there are several silkworm farms here with white mulberry trees.

Its ok.

Its sweet, but lacks tartness that makes a really good berry. Getteing a variety of white mulbery specially cultivated for its fuits, you may be able to grow the best of both fruit and silkworms. Its wite mulbery, so i assume you can grow sikworms on varietys. A good variety of white mulbery for fruit is M. alba var. multicaulis 'Downing'. The site that listed that also said other varietys are sold under the same name. You will have to do some resech to see if silkworms eat it

Black mulbery are the best!!!!!!!!!!! You cant grow silkworms on them tough
rock.gif

so what does black mulberry taste like exactly? like a boisonberry?

Sort of. I only had it once on a visit to georga and all i remember is that i loved it. a good blend of sweetness and tartness.

heres a site with a bit of info Here

It says , and i quote
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The tree is not grown on a commercial scale because the fruit is too soft and easily damaged to allow it to be transported to market, and is therefore best eaten straight from the tree

If it was considerd as a potential as a commercial species, it has to be good.

I make black mulberry wine. It is fantastic!

i thought coppers cant drink on the job. they're almost always in a cop car
tounge.gif

Mulberry cheese cake is the bomb.

you can make cheese cake with mulberry!?! omg, i love cheescake. i must have some mulberry now
cool.gif

I hate mulberry trees. They have a tremendous tap root, grow like a weed; if you cut it down, it just grows back. They are messy and attract birds (translate: lotsa poop...don't park under them!).

The berries are fairly good (not great) and the trees are probably ok AWAY from a house, but I had one sprout next to my front porch and it got huge in just a couple of years. Had to have it chainsawed down. UGH.

I guess the ones I've been around are black mulberries, not white so maybe that's different.

Uh...and its "boysenberry".
biggrin.gif

You are describing white mulberry PAK. White mulbery fruits can be black, red, or white. Black mulbery is sort of slow growing, doent sprout from its trunnk normally, and a different tree species from the fast - growing white mulbery with black berries.

Back