What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gardenia

Does anyone here grow them? If so, how do you get yours to bloom? Thanks.

I have an 22 year old one in my front yard, that blooms massively in spring and then gets a few flowers during the summer. I give it a lot of water and fertilize it regularly and when the growth gets out of hand I prune it brutally. I live in the south and we only get 2 or 3 days of below freezing temps a year. If you want next time I prune it I can send you some cuttings you can try to root. I personally find the smell of the flowers (when the whole bush is in bloom) slightly sickening.

Thanks but no thanks, buster.

I have a plant of my own but im trying to figure how to get this to bloom.

The plant appreciates cool conditions, and a very acidic mix kept always moist, almost like a CP. Deadhead any flowers after they fade, and prune back the branch after it flowers. It is a light lover as well, and needs some sun. They are best regarded as outdoor plants, I have never had success with in house cultivation long term.

It's funny Buster, some people react that way towards the scent of Gardenia. Usually the same folk don't much care for the smell of Narcissus or Tuberoses. I think it's similar to folk who don't like the taste of Broccoli or Brusselsprouts. They did a study and found those that didn't like the taste had a higher number of taste buds on their tongue. Probably you have a very acute sense of smell. I rather like the scent of Gardenias, but then I don't have a tree of them outside my window! I used to have a mock orange that flowered and was also overpowering, almost revolting after awhile. Another strong sweet scented flower is Asparagus Fern, and THAT one I don't like at all. Gak.

Tamlin,
How do you get yours to bloom?

They are acid loving plants so, if you haven't already, try fertilizing with Miracid (although I think they don't call it that any more).

Back