What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Making compost (anaerobic/aerobic)

I would like to make compost for my garden plants, but im not sure which metod is the best anaerobic or aerobic, please is somebody here has done compost before anaerobically
smile_t_32.gif
or aerobically please reply me your results and how did you make the compost (Pile, tank, special building)

My Plants and I will be forever thankful!  
smile_n_32.gif

I should let Lavenderdawn reply since the compost pile is her territory......Nah!

Our compost pile is actually a large rotating drum. Oxygen seems to be a required part of the organic breakdown. A pile should be regularly turned and kept moist or so it seems to me.

You can do it anaerobically but it's much slower getting the nutrients released to the plants.  Our 'compostumbler' is really just a more efficient (i.e. lazy) way to turn the compost pile.  Moist & oxygen, that's right.  With the proper balance of 'brown' & 'green' & 'dirt' (for the organisms to get things started) and turning it every day, you can have ready to use compost in 2 weeks.  
Yes, my territory is the compost...  
laugh.gif

Ohhh! But do you have a photo of your composter???
a blueprint""? something, im just doing anaerobic compost, but its very smelly and full of mold and mildew, its just a black icky, smelly mud. will it change in time to an "earthy" compound??? What about "maturing" compost? whats that?

Anaerobic compost is foul stuff and a condition to be avoided. To my nose, it smells like a poorly run dairy operation and that isn't something I want replicated outside the kitchen door.

We have a snooty Smith & Hawken composter, which my wife picked up for free at a demo several years ago. Prior to that, I always used wooden pallets as walls for compost. I have a sort of corkscrew aerator I ordered from a small manufacturer in Arizona. I used to just attack it with a turning fork, but this is easier, so I use it more frequently. That's a good thing.

Lots of leaves go into our compost, as well as all the kitchen scraps, coffee grounds, etc. A year ago, we bought a giant bag of crushed corn cob for a rabbit's litter box before learning it's dangerous stuff. So I added it to the compost and the pile has worked beautifully ever since. I'm now putting cat litter in too now. The cat litter is recycled newspaper pellets.

Every year I remove most of the compost and bury it in the area where I dump other dirt I dig up here and there. It's my topsoil factory.

Well i always make my compost like this:\

In a LARGE pot i add a 4 inches of Soil, then 8 inches of Organic Waste then 4 inches of soil then 8 inches of organic waste and so on, 2 months later there is only a "black soil" but i wonder if it it a good compost....

I used to work for a plant company and would take home dead plants all the time and fill trash bags with them cut up. Every day I would shake the trash bag up and mist a little into it. That seemed to work great since wife and neighbors didn't appreciate the original pile.
smile_n_32.gif
I also added mycorrhizal fungi to it as well as worms. Befor I used it I would just go through what I was going to use and take out worms and add them to another bag. This is also what the 2nd layer in my tank bog is made from.

Joe

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>I highly recommend aerobic vs anaerobic. Most of all there is less offensive odor, anaerobic is most always quite offensive.

Here is a link that gives some details of both processes: aerobic vs anaerobic</span>

Everyone has had really good suggestions for you here.  Joseph,that was a really succinct article on comparing the two.  Thanks for that link.
I think it's largely a matter of just doing it for a few years until you get a feel for it.  This is the particular composter I use  -    www.compostumbler.com.      I have the compact one, my mother uses the back porch one.  It's nice in the city for when your neighbors wouldn't really appreciate you dumping your garbage out into a pile in your yard.  There are several other companies who make them, a search would find them for you.  Choosing a model is just a matter of aesthetics, as previously mentioned, all you really need is just a pile -- or a pot, as you described.  You would need to turn it more frequently in a pot to get it to work aerobically.  The tumblers have screened vents all around the sides of the drum besides specially designed vents on the door.  
biggrin.gif

Hey thanks for the link it was REALLY useful!!! thanks to you all! im going to build a composter this week.
Lets start the Compost!!

Back